TX650 Mainstand Guidance

rustyrescue

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have recently got a 73 model year TX650, it lacks the mainstand I would really like to fit. The TX 650 was never sold in the UK and early bikes are very rare so the early narrow stand is virtually unseen . Also the fitting bolts are different I believe due to the header pipes fitting onto the bolt / stand lug too so a longer threaded portion is needed to take spacers, washers and the but.

Later XS650 stands are a little wider I think but can be found here in typical grotty UK rusty condition! Is it known whether the top fittings are the same width as the lugs on the frame and if they take the same size shouldered bolts?

If only the width of the stand is the difference I wondered if it could be cut on the centre bar, fit a rod inside to locate and re-weld it narrower.

The special bolts could be got around by getting bushes turned on a lathe and using normal bolts.

Any help appreciated.

Yes fairly simple to narrow up a later stand. That newest special stands have the most bracing for the foot arm. But if your technique is good, bolts kept greased they all are OK.

Yes fairly simple to narrow up a later stand. That newest special stands have the most bracing for the foot arm. But if your technique is good, bolts kept greased they all are OK.
Brilliant thank you, so the top pivots are the same size on old and new...just make the whole stand a little narrower?
about 9mm in metric, or imperial/USA 3/8 of an inch by my research.

I never had an early stand to measure but here's the later stand dimensions. Check the width of your frame mounts, but narrowing down the pivot tubes would be simple enough if need be .....

Bt3zqve.jpg

thats a useful diagram thanks, my frame mounts measure it seems 35mm so it does show the pivot tubes are the same so should not be narrowed, it would need the cross tube on the H to be cut/welded shorter by about 9-10mm making the middle dimension about 197-198mm.

Back