Ugly bikes!!!!!!

rusty rocket

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I,ve noticed alot of bikes on this site are down right ugly. Whats up? I know to each there own, but Damn. I,m not saying my bike is the best looking out there but at least it looks like a flat track bike(that is what i was going for). I've noticed so many parts on xs,s that just don't fit the bike with poor layout and execution. I know when I fab something up I stand back and take a good look at it from a distance and different angles(roll the thing out of the garage stand back and look). I guess I,m to anal retentive. Sorry just had to rant.

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I watched a bike build here from start to finish when the thing was eventually sold on ebay to some lucky guy in Australia. You may remember the build entitled "Thug Life". I thought it was the best looking XS I had ever seen and I have been riding these things for 25 years. Dna 4 under springer, cole foster tank and Ardcore hardtail. There were many people who commented on what a great looking bike it was. It was a bike built along the lines of Angry Monkey builder Dan Patterson from Mississippi who builds some beautiful Triumphs. I thought others would follow with similar builds. However, I haven't seen another build like it before or after. The guy did obviously have a fair amount of money wrapped up in it. I think that bike really stepped away from the norm. Go figure.
jefft

Last edited:
A lot of bikes are built on a budget and a lack of artistic talent to fully express what many of the creators are going for. Execution out of their means. Does it make them wrong or less of an enthusiast? No. If I don't like a bike someone is working on I just remain silent. They are excited about their project and work they did even if it doesn't turn out to look like a gem. I particularly admire the amount of work and enthusiasm that goes into the bikes around here, even if it's not my taste. There are a ton of different ideas that float around that inspires us all, including myself, that really makes this site work. That's my 2 pennies on this thread...

Sinking nails it I believe... not everyone can afford to buy a bunch of premade parts and slap the on their bikes. Also not everyone wants off the shelf parts. Its not always about building a bike thats beautiful, so much as building a bike that is 'their own'. On the other hand, some build bikes purposely to be a 'rat', or to be offensive. Such is life.

Heck some people spend a lot of money on new bikes, orcars, and dont even wash them or maintain them, all while making massive payments to a lender and insurance company. Then others spend more time polishing and looking at their vehicle than using them... like you said, to each their own.

Ditto, guys. In engineering, there are 3 facets: form, fit and function. Relating to artistry, application, and does-it-work. I lack the 'form' part, and stick with simple/traditional, but get anal over 'function'...

The bikes on here are near universally good. You want ugly? search bobber or custom on craigslist. And those "creations" are VERY valuable just ask their owners.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder..........................:wink2:
You got that rite resto. I,m not being a snob but I think alot of guys just bolt or weld something on and really do'nt think how its going to look. I,m a hot rodder at heart and when you build a hotrod you can throw all the $ in the world at it but if it does'nt sit rite and have the rite wheels and tires on it it will never look rite. When I built my 1926 model T half way thru the build I had several people say that thing is going to be in a magazine(it sits rite and has a lot of well thought out details). Sure enough fist big car show I went to rod and custom was doing a photo shoot, it ended up being on the cover plus 6 pages inside. I guess I would like guys to stand back and eye what they are doing.

I can say that I love every bike that is owner built.

Should anyone care what I think about their bike.... NO!!!!

The owner is having fun/it's his bike and that is what this is ALL about.

I'd be building a hardtail/bobber if I was young enough to ride it!!!!!!....Al

Some things in life are best not spoken. You don't say to a guy................your house/your car/your wife/your bike is ugly. To do so, is to invite verbal and even physical abuse to the speaker.:D

Not everyone has your good taste

I,ve noticed alot of bikes on this site are down right ugly. Whats up? I know to each there own, but Damn. I,m not saying my bike is the best looking out there but at least it looks like a flat track bike(that is what i was going for). I've noticed so many parts on xs,s that just don't fit the bike with poor layout and execution. I know when I fab something up I stand back and take a good look at it from a distance and different angles(roll the thing out of the garage stand back and look). I guess I,m to anal retentive. Sorry just had to rant.

I see bikes on craigslist and in public that are simply spray painted flat black from an aerosol can. Black paint sprayed over the gauges and chrome- paint peeling/flaking off the chrome. Then it described as a bobber or rat bike and priced above $3000 (craigslist bikes). To each his own. In the case of the "Craigslist Capers" the $3000 price should buy more than spray can paint and exhaust wrap.

Damn near my hood. Looks pretty sweet to me at least.

brat yamaha cafe bobber - $1800 (fairfield / vacaville)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3829430962.html

pics1334.jpg

There are people that can weld a 2x4 to a piece of glass. There are people that can get an engine to sing a song. And there are people that can make sculpure out of a dog turd. The trick has always been to find all those qualities in the same person. You can look at the auto industry over the years and spot when it all came together just right. And in the same breath, you can't help but look away when that automotive nightmare only had one of the three working on it. My list of what is the best and what is the worst is going to be different than all the rest of you morons. Not everyone lusts after a pea green Yugo with purple wheels.:D

Back