1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

UK Bobber Build thread

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paulrxs650, Oct 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Hi All,

Finally took the plunge and bought an '83 Heritage to make my own bobber and I thought I would post up my progress for comments, inspriration and general input!

Here it is the day I got it home - looks good on the surface and thats about it!
    [​IMG]

On the way to being ebayed
    [​IMG]

Further along:
    [​IMG]

Back end off ready for cleaning up
    [​IMG]

A little bit of dressing up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My idea around bracing - maybe?
    [​IMG]

TC Bros hardtail
    [​IMG]

Gorgeous Peanut Wassell tank from Lowbrow - Need a new top engine mount now!!
    [​IMG]

This might work!
    [​IMG]

Yep, that'll do the job, I think!
    [​IMG]

Footpeg brackets, perhaps?
    [​IMG]

Rear brake pivot - thought i'd include a grease nipple too!
    [​IMG]

Mocked up and tacked together an exhaust just to get a feel for things
    [​IMG]

Next steps - make a seat and get some feel for how it will sit!:bike:

2. Top engine mount should look like:
    [​IMG]

3. It looks Awesome :thumbsup: I wish I was that far along, Man keep up the good work, and I thought I had a small work space looks like your in a shed, But hey we gotta work with what we got! My Dinning room is gonna get a workout this winter, after i buy some barn type stall mats to protect my hardwood floors :laugh:
    I'm gonna keep watching this build :)
    Dave

4. Hi
    Thanks for the comments! Yeah I am in a shed, it's quite a big one with my three other bikes, lathe, drill press, welders etc but it is very cosy! With winter coming and temp down to -2 already - ill take cosy! I would go for the back room of the cottage but I think "her that must be obeyed" would freak out! My shed does have a stove and a fridge! Secret beer!

5. Inevitable

Inevitable XS650 Addict

Is that the deep tunnel peanut from low brow? Has it been modified to make it larger then the 2 gallon one?

6. Hi
    Yes it is, it is just over 2 gallon

7. Johnt3

Johnt3 Still learning...

Hey!, I got one of those "her that must be obeyed" too. Looks good Paul, your brake pivot is cleaner than mine.My pivot is a little farther back than your is.I had to reposition my inner arm to the bottom to work with the factory master cylinder.Now I'll have to clean mine up more after seeing yours.Is that a Tc Bros exhaust kit?Looks killer.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  8. Hi Johnt33! Thanks for the comments! Yes it is a TC Bros exhaust kit. I was impressed by it - a lot more sturdy tubing than I had expected! I just worked out the positioning after I mounted the peg

9. Shakey

Shakey XS650 Addict

UK
    Looking good Paul. I'm guessing from the number plate in your shed that you are into your landies as well?

10. Thanks Shakey! Havent had a Landie for a long while now since a series 2 (snapped the chassis!) but I see what you mean! Very observent! Landie fan?

11. Shakey

Shakey XS650 Addict

UK
    Never owned one but lots of buddies into them.
    Had the two-wheel equivalent for a while - Armstrong MT500!

12. Ha Ha! Great bike! Never had one - XR400 for the trails at the moment!

13. Shakey

Shakey XS650 Addict

UK
    The Armstrong was a b***h to start when warm, otherwise it was bulletproof: effectively had a pma so would run with no battery. The rear wheel needed only a tommy bar to release the axle nut, then the chain/sprocket/brake drum remained fixed to the swingarm, the cam belt sits on the side of the engine in its own housing and if it breaks there are no clearance issues with valves and pistons. It really was designed to be squaddie-proof! I've got a modified klr650 for rugged riding and off-road so the MT had to go. The up-side was though that the funds then kick-started the rebuild on the XS!

14. Yeah they do look pretty rugged! Ah well, onwards and upwards!

15. Thanks, yeah, its just solid 7/16 bar which I put a radius in, ground down and fitted. I thought it gives it a nice sweeping looking whilst giving some ridgidity.

16. Johnt3

Johnt3 Still learning...

Paul,What size plate did you use for your peg mounts?

17. Hi

I believe it was 1/4" or 6mm plate. Just some I had lying around but actually works very well. Just made a template for the holes and cut and machined both plates together.
    Got the seat pan made and mocked up. I'll post some pics up. Need a mudguard / fender for the rear if anyone has an idea where to get one that actually fits

18. So a bit more done today - I found a petrol cap whic, by chance fits perfectly to the peanut tank - Result!

[​IMG]

Ground down the 47mm core plug and with a smear of sealant knocked it into place - really pleased with the results (pictures not great)

[​IMG]

Got the seat pan done and a bracket made. Welded the pivot to the frame and mocked up the rear springs. I'll need to machine some bungs next weekend.

[​IMG]

Go the right hand side exhaust tacked up too - please with the look!

[​IMG]