UK Bobber Build thread

Hi Carbon - yeah very well thanks!
Really appreciate you taking the time to look at that! So thats stock set up for the BS34 carbs. Just highlights how different these bikes / carbs can be. I tried mine at stock and it was as flat as a witches tit with a big hole in the mid-range. Now at 45 pilot and 142.5 mains with my home made needle with an extra notch and its running well. However, I will replace the needle and needle jet as I have them now and report my findings. Hopefull get thast done this weekend but with a Beer festival on friday night and a Wedding all day Saturday - I might be a tad jaded on Sunday :)

So, I have finally got the BS34's sorted out with the help of the canadian needles and jets. Final setup (at the moment :)) is 45 pilot, 3 turns out on the mix, 140 mains and Canadian needles and jets with the needle dropped one postion in the number two clip slot. The bike pulls well and reallyt kicks of when you feel the main jets kicking in and thats with a 17/31 sprocket combo. It will happily sit at 80 and cruise along. Last fill up needed 4.21 litres after 50 miles of riding indicating 54 mpg, which I think is pretty reasonable.

Thanks Carbon, yeah it is pretty good going and I am quite pleased with it. Thats with fairly varied riding from tootling around to giving it large handfuls on the A roads. Looking at the plugs they are showing a good but perhaps a slight lean condition but wonderfully clean. So, I may be able to go up another main size. However, I can accelerate very well and touch the ton if I need to to, so I am not sure if there is any point other than curiosity of what can be acheived.

Cheers John, yeah, I am really enjoying riding it at the moment. My Z1000 hasnt turned a wheel really!
There is now 918 miles on it and I think I will go through the wiring, fastners etc next weekend to to make sure nothing is untoward or becoming a problem. I am sure that this will never be truly finished but for the time being - its time to ride !!! :)

Paul your right there. with our ole XS650s A good owner will for ever be wrenching.
It is that kind of creature it need care and in a timely fashion.
And they will take care of us too.
My modern Triumph does not need to same kind of care. Its more of oil changes and cleaning, and inspections. much more riding to wrenching.

Yep, exactly! Have you got the new Bonne? My original 70s one used to lkike to try and do the oil changes itself by constantly letting the old oil out Lol :)
I think thats the reason why the brand new Z1000 hasnt really done a lot this year - nothing to tinker with - but I do miss the wheelies!

Paul no Bonnie yet
I have a Daytona 955 triple. absolutely the most fun street bike I've ever owned
7472911784_7f3cef866e_z.jpg

daytona n hereford bull by imacarboncopy, on Flickr
And yep wheelies are fun!

Nice bike Carbon! I used to race the 675 and absolutely loved it. Those Daytonas are very popular over here. You can do a bit of everything on them and I think they are still a good looking bike.

I agree Paul The 675 is great fun.
It is a little smaller that the 955.
The 675 is so easy the ride and goes fast right out or the box.
As You know the 675R is probably the most race ready bike out there.
I would love to do some racing with one! You are the Man!

Hey Paul, How it going?
It's been raining here. It was raining so hard yesterday my frog toggs didn't even keep me dry on the way home.
I got caught up working so my build has stalled.
John has been slipping in and out of here like a cat burglar.:laugh:
Has a gday Mate!

Hi Carbon, well I am glad you're getting the rain as its been very pleasant here :)
Get back on the build - I have been thoroughly enjoying riding mine around - got 1000 miles on her now and still loving it. However I bought her a stable mate at the weekend - traded my Z1000 in for a BMW GS1200 which is just the best bike I have ever owned! So I have also been trying to share my time equally - just in case one gets jealous LOL :)

Well Paul, IMO that BMW is about as nice a bike there is.
congratulations Brother!
Now did You get the new 2013 model?
I hear it's even better.
I know it looks different.
First thing I noticed is the engine is new.
engine and transmission are now one unit.
drive shaft is on the left side now.
I was looking at them last week when I was looking at a Tbird.

Yes its funny how some bike seem to get the green eyes.
I hope that I'm not the only guy that talks to my bike and let them know, I love them all.

Back