UK Bobber Build thread

Well hell, You can have a little of our heat and the damn wind. Ha Ha! I got some more done today.Got the fender mounts and fender installed. Now wheres that list I had going.
Don't mind the quality of the welds, I'm having my boss save me on that one.
Mounts and fender
DSCN0352_zps6527bc4a.jpg

DSCN0350_zps8b1b9243.jpg

DSCN0353_zpscf79784f.jpg

DSCN0357_zps340bc36b.jpg

DSCN0356_zps29f08a75.jpg

DSCN0355_zps2b7b305d.jpg

DSCN0354_zps5b20b1cf.jpg

And some glamor shots outside to get a better view.
DSCN0359_zps51f40f44.jpg

DSCN0358_zps05b3a12a.jpg

DSCN0361_zps59da02d6.jpg

DSCN0362_zpsabc1602a.jpg

DSCN0363_zps945281dd.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Johnt3,

Thats some good progress you've got going on there! Well done!

I got a little more done this weekend - mainly fiddly stuff but I got the batt box done too!

The brake lever was too short to give sufficiant clearance over the exhausr, so I got another one off ebay cut them both and welded them back together to give it more length from the spline to the radius
100_2611.jpg

So the battery box was simply to weld a "lid" on then split it open about an inch from the top, edge it with some rubber to seal from the elements, heres how it went
100_2615.jpg

100_2616.jpg

100_2617.jpg

100_2618.jpg

Ill get a couple of rubber straps and rivet some clips to it to fasten, perhaps go for an old school leather strap???

I need to have a front mudgaurd to satisfy Her Majestys MOT but want a very small discreet one. Thought about cutting down the chrome one, then quickly disgarded that idea and couldnt find anything that would suit or that I liked.
So - I thought I'd make my own. I laminated a mould from the original which ill then cast a replica from and cut to my own design
100_2619.jpg

100_2620.jpg

Got my mini speedo mounted - just had to make a small bracket to fit in place of where the ignition lock was - perfect fit!
100_2622.jpg

100_2621.jpg

Started doing a little work on the side stand. I think I will keep the original, so I have set about modifying it and plan to tidy it up for chroming. I have threaded the tip so I can screw on a little brass ball - I ve done it on other builds and I like the touch
100_2623.jpg

100_2624.jpg

100_2625.jpg

So the bike now stands at this stage and is actually on its own two wheels
100_2626.jpg

100_2627.jpg

Good looking Paul.Your battery box is nice and sealed. What size battery are you using? I placed mine yesterday and it's a little tall. How long does your front fender "have" to be? Good idea on your brake lever.
I like that speedo you have, but I kind of like the factory one on mine now.
I shortened my side stand also but I need to heat and bend it a little. Also need to fab a stop on the frame since I'm constantly forgetting and slapping the bottom of the case when I stand her up.What you using for a head light?

Got my tank today,not that impressed.Pretty rusty inside.Does have cap and petcock.
Gonna go ahead and use it to mount up bungs and maybe try and clean up the rust.
Saw some ideas on the forum and the internet, EVAPO-RUST looks promising.
Any ideas?

Stampbear - thanks for the comments! Cheers

Johnt3 - Battery size in MM 130L x 80W x 130H so it nestles in quite nice, will get some foam to pack it out though. Im still debating the front light but it will be a small chromed affair. The front fender just needs to be present and functioning, so it can be teeny! So mine will be a little sort of 4" affair. I'm chuffed with that little speedo and I'll also wire it into the headlight loom when I get that far. Yeah, I do need to beat the sidestand up a bit more and i think I will have to shorten it some what. Sorry about the tank - pisser! I have used the battery charger method a few times with great results. Search on the forum and there are a few threads on how to.

It rains in England . A 4" front fender means your bike (and you ) will be covered in road grime all the time. Those fender-less bob jobs originated in southern California where it never rains . Back in the '60s those California chopper builders were all high on LSD and stuff . Never mix wrenches and hallucinogens .

Well Im hoping for some luck and getting 3!!
Its been a really poor summer for us this year. A lot of the rallies have been washouts. I'll be keeping the original mudguard for those events, so if it is wet, ill just swap it over. But I'm hoping next year is going to be a scorcher!!

Contacted the guy I got the tank from today and he will trade my tank for the one I should have bought in the first place. Lesson learned, don't be a cheap ass.
So I'm gonna start placing the tank as soon as I get it,hopefully tomorrow.
"I'm chuffed with that little speedo" What? Speak some English man! Ha Ha.

Ah well thats good news about the tank, at least you'll not have to clart about cleaning it out!

You've never heard the term "chuffed"? Very English phrase I suppose! You can start it off State side - it means very pleased, happy, sort of thing! :)

Ha Ha. Thank you for explaining that Paul. It's amusing to see the differences between english American and english British.

I know, when lived in Dallas, it was hilarious, especially the difference in the definition of fanny.

Americans define and understand it as someones behind or backside.
English define it as a polite term for a ladys "special area"

A lot of hilarity ensues!

HA HA!! He said "fanny".
Got my tank today,yes I am happy with it.It fits really good. I have to say Harleys have really thick paint.Gonna strip it to get rid of the sticker under the clear coat mess.
Can't wait to mount this thing and start on my oil tank.Been thinking about it some more and have a little better idea on how I'm going to place the access panel.
Should be interesting.

He he!
I'm so glad your tank arrived and that you're pleased with it!
My headlight arrived today, so I think I'm going to start on the front end at the weekend. What's your thoughts on the oil tank? I've got the access panel bit suss with the plate I have formed to suit and I know how I'll seal it with rubber beading and a latch / lock. What I haven't fathomed out yet is how to mount the internals? So far I am thinking along the lines of a piece of plate splitting the tank in two, with a Velcro mount for the ignition unit one side and the fuse box the other?

Are you using the stock fuse box? I've been thinking about placing the fuse box on a panel attached to the side of the opening leaving room for access to the flasher unit and backside of key switch.
Where are you mounting your starter solenoid? I'm thinking about mounting mine inside the tank, but don't know about having battery cables running in and out of the tank.
I'm looking for a good alternate place to mount it.

Hi Johnt3, No, im using an aftermarket fuse box with blade connectors and LED warning lights for popped fuses - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190691022541?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
All that will be in my electrics box will be the fuse box and the ignition unit - I'm not running a starter or indicators.
So that should hopefully make life a little easier!
I'm going to crack on with the front end this weekend I think and give the electric box some more thought over copious cups of tea!

nice fusebox paul ...I think I'll fit one of those myself when I get around to doing the electrics. i'd really like to completely rewire the bike and make up my own loom but I had better get this engine rebuilt first lol. :D

Yeah, ive got a couple of them on other bikes and the other XS. They work very well and have been very relialble - certainly not bad for the price.
Good luck with the rebuild!

Back