UK Bobber Build thread

Got to stay home this weekend.:(Family stuff. But I brought home my carbs to rebuild so all is not lost.:shrug:I'm going to change the jets to one size up as a starting point.
They should clean up nice. I'll get some pics up tomorrow or Sunday.
Good luck on your front end. Nice fuse box.
I think my plans for the oil tank have changed, I'm going to cut out the bottom to place my electrics and not worry about a door.

Ah family stuff! I have a bit of that too this weekend!
I ve done bit today. Took the front end off and stripped out the head bearings in prep for powder coat. Had a nightmare getting the bottom shell out! There was no gap to lodge a punch! So I had to make tool up then harden it to cope! I'll post some pics up tomorrow! Got the left hand leg stripped cleaned and rebuilt. Also, de-lugged it and polished up the alluminium body. Will try and get the other one done tomorrow!hope you get your carbs sorted! I'm still leaning towards a trap door??? For the oil tank might have another think tomorrowZ,

Yeah go ahead get that bike power coated.I'll just keep plugging along on mine.Ha Ha.
I want to polish my fork legs too.How are yours looking? Are you lowering yours?
Got to remember that with all the planning in the world,I still find that all my tools are at work!
I started my carb rebuild and soon found out I didn't have a pair of snap ring pliers.
Went and bought a pair,they weren't slim enough to reach inside the slide.
Got a work around figured out though using part of the pliers set and some cussing.
Just finished one will finish tomorrow.I think I'll plan on not doing anything at home.
Ha Ha! Have to have my tools in easy reach.I'm still on the fence with the oil tank.
I know,I know. Get your act together man! Saw this, might try this setup.

IMG_17923.jpg

IMG_17973.jpg

With the access on the bottom and key switch in the side.

Hi Johnt3,
Thats not a bad idea on the oil tank set up, I am definately going for the access panel set up but still debating on the hinged or bolted method???
So this weekend I thought I would strip down the fron end predominately to get off the original headlight mounts but also to get the forks stripped, serviced, re-oiled and delug the left one then polish the stanchions. Also want to check the headstock bearings.

So fork legs out and stripped down, de-lugged and left one polished. Polish just using threee grades of wheel and poliching compound. Rubbed down with emery forst to get rid of any clear coat
100_2629.jpg

Before and after shot - quite pleased with the results
100_2630.jpg

In trying to get the bottom bolt out to strip down the forks, I discovered that the internals turned with bolt. So, as the head of the internals was, what appeared to be aa large Hex bolt, I had to fashion a "special tool" from some dowel and an old curtain rail - worked it treat
100_2632.jpg

100_2631.jpg

So forks, de-lugged, poished, filled with nice fresh oil and back on the bike
100_2633.jpg

Debating what to do with the ends of the exhausts?? I need baffles in them, so I thought about putting the baffles in then welding the swept pieces on then chroming them. Drawback is baffles can never come out but then why should the. Opinions on the below please, just tacked on to mull over

100_2634.jpg

And as of tonight
100_2635.jpg

Your fork legs look great Paul.Great "special tool" tool.What oil did you use? Never was a fan of the factory headlight brackets.First thing I removed.Are you using the original ball bearings? I think I might for the time being.
I think you idea on the baffles will work out just fine.What baffles are you using?What is the going rate for chroming over there? I'll probably go with exhaust wrap on my head pipes and black ends on mine.

Hiya paul,the turnouts on your exhausts look spot on,maybe you could fit a removable baffle into the straight section and then fit a slightly smaller bore pipe into the turnout and the straight sections and secure with a grubscrew on the underneath/blindside( come to think of it the joining section could also act as your baffle?)looking at your picture i dont think your tiewrap chain link will last very long!:laugh:

Thanks for the comments guys!

Johnt3 I used 10/30 engine oil. Yeah I'm using the original headstock bearings. I stripped and cleaned them and there was no sign of wear or notchiness on the steering. I am going to go for the baffle inserts that you knock into the exhaust. I used them on my other build and they worked well. As for chroming, I'm struggling to find anywhere round my area that does it. There are national companies however. As for pricing, I'm not very sure. Maybe someone can help me out there in the UK?

Bucko, yeah I have thought about the very same idea, my only concern, there being a joint, however, a galloping horse in the dark wouldn't notice? Ahhh you noticed my link! I was hoping to get a few hundred miles out of that LOL! Better still is the cheapo Tesco adjustable in one of the shots! Saying that, I have always bought tools from the likes of Snap On, Facom, Britool etc, however, I bought that adjusty at a bike rally once when I needed a large head bolt tightening. I was just going to chuck it when I got home but it's actually very well made and has outlasted others! I'd love to know which factory it came from!

Thanks for the comments guys!

As for chroming, I'm struggling to find anywhere round my area that does it. There are national companies however. As for pricing, I'm not very sure. Maybe someone can help me out there in uk?
Ive used qaulity chrome in hull in the past,theyre realy good but turnaround is about three weeks!

Premier Coating in High Wycombe have done mine for the last 30 years , brilliant job, all the classic restorers use 'em. Well worth packing them off there by courier:wink2:

Theyre not neccessarily the cheapest but I can definitely speak for the top-notch quality. Last parts I had chromed by them were a pair of Laverda SF1 silencers(complicated) £80 each , downpipes , £35 each.
Premier Plating, not coating as I typed before!

Ah, that why I couldnt seem to find them - got them now! Thats not too bad on the pricing and I am always happy to pay for good quality. Thanks very much for that tip - much appreciated!

I think I have sussed out the electric box. I am going to cut an access panel which I will hinge and bolt with a chrome captive nut as the fastener, ordered a piano hinge and some neat rubber edging to keep the elements out. Inside i will have a low "shelf" to accomodate the Boyer unit and fuse box. One end is going to have the ignition key, headlight on/off switch and high low beam switch all on old school toggle switches. Will also include one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-LED-B...?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item23093fd67d
I have used them before and they are so simple to see if you are over / under charging!
I was thinking of the horn down there too, perhaps on the other side to keep the bars clean - any thoughts?
Pics this weekend!

someone is spending wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much time on eBay :D

Looks like another good idea .What kind of immobiliser/ security are you intending using as a matter of interest ?

i did consider wiring up a digi camera flash capacitor to the grips on mine :thumbsup:

Security - 12 bore mainly:D

Realistically, very minimal. Ignition switch will be a simple affair and there wont be any steering lock etc. It wont be left unattended except at rallies where they are usually OK.

Your electrics box idea sounds good to me.I really dig that LED Battery Monitor.
Yeah post some pics. I'm gonna to get to the shop this weekend and do something.
It's killing me to walk past is bike all day long and not work on it. I'm thinking about doing the electrics tank Sunday. Maybe string the new chain and rear sprocket on to make sure on the fender clearance and put the carbs back on with the pod filters to check the fit. If I have time mount the gas tank.

Any updates on the baffles? and, are you making your own or using prefab?

interested to see more. great project.

avenue.

Sounds like a good plan johnt3!
I think I'm going to go for the interference fit style ones. Tap them home then weld the kick outs on and the job is done. I'm just going to go for the pre fab ones as I have some lying around in the shed. I'll get some pics up this weekend!
Avenue -how is Texas these days? Are you anywhere near Plano?

Back