UK Cafe Racer Build Thread

Back from the hols, now seem like a distant memory :(
Getting the miles on to the XS and I'm pleased to report that there's nothing fundamental adrift. Got 300 miles on now and ill probably do a few more this weekend and drop the oil, check filters etc etc. The mixture seems to be spot on too, with good looking plugs and good performance out of the engine. Oil consumption has been good - I've used about a 1/4 of a pint in the past 300 miles including seating rings, so that's not too bad, considering the original pistons are being used with only a light hone on the bores. The tacho on the Trail Tech is a bit jumpy, so I will have to experiment with the pick up. The little magnet that you are supposed to JB weld to the rotor / wheel / sprocket did well to hang on for 200 miles then made its bid for freedom, so i drilled and tapped the sprocket and used the threaded 6mm magnetic bolt set up instead. Handling is good with plenty of ground clearance. if I was being hyper critical, I would say that its a fraction slow to turn into faster bends, so I may drop the yokes on the forks 5mm to lower the front and quicken it up a smidgen.

Anyway here's a snap out and about:
CafeRacer_zpsa34c9c2b.jpg

Hey Paul, glad your back man!
Good to hear you've got to put miles on your bike. Weather looks to be nice there.
She's looking great!

Ha Ha, funny you should say that - I was out the other day and couldn't get away with people asking me what it is and how I built it etc etc - very flattering :)
It certainly does draw a lot of curiosity from bikers and non-bikers alike!

I'm planning to go myself, have a bit of a reunion going on with some of my ex RAF buddies, Bikefest Kelso was picked as it was pretty central for everybody. Just trying to get my aged Suzuki GS850 roadworthy for it! Would be good to see your bike in the flesh, as it were.

Its been a couple of months, so I though I would provide a brief update. As the weather has been really good here, I have managed to put around 1000 miles on the Cafe so far. The majority have been running in miles and ensuring everything is still tight, in spec etc etc. Apart from the usual retorqing of heads and general fastener checking, the bike has run well. One design flay showed itself int he number plate bracket, with I made from aluminium. This effectively work hardened and cracked, so i laminated one up instead - much stronger :) I managed to find an inexpensive carbon fibre front mudguard, which I wanted as i thought the whole silver look was too much. Heres what she looks like now :)

xs6503_zps579b503e.jpg

Still looking great Paul, do the USD forks make a big difference?

Did you go to Kelso? I went, but took the car, didn't manage to get my bike ready in time! Quite glad in a way the weather was horrible on the way down.

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments.

The USD s aren't particularly noticeable but do give good firm damping and are better thn the standard set up

I didn't make it to Kelso this year. Hope you had a good time!

It does rain, a lot normally, but we're getting a good run at the moment!

So, a quick update. Went to Stormin the Castle again this year - great rally ;)
I put the Cafe in the Back Street Heroes show and it won -

Best Engineering
Exhibitors Choice

Quite chuffed :)

DSCN1094_zpse03596ad.jpg

Back