UK Cafe Racer Build Thread

Ha Ha but it would be work Id love doing :)
Looking forward to getting some shed time this weekend. Got the front wheel spacers to machine and discs to fit along with battery boxes, rear master cylinders etc etc

its looking very promising :thumbsup:

What sprockets are you planning on using ?

Love the gold finish on the shocks ...a gold 520 chain would look gorgeous on there and perhaps a couple of gold rings or something carried through on the forks :thumbsup:in fact a subtle gold theme would look fantastic full stop .:wink2:

I have to say I'm not a fan of GRP seats on cafe's I prefer curves and softer lines of a leather cafe seat with a rounded BSA/Triumph style tank myself but thats the great thing about variety of taste and preference.:D

Hi Peanut,

Ill be using the standard 34 tooth sprocket, however I do have a 33 tooth in the shed in case :)

Yes, I have a light gold chain to go on too ;) Still planning on going with red frame and silver tail and tank, probably a carbon front mudguard with the gold theme still in the fronts forks and probably in the "Robson" logo in the norton fault, as per the last build.

I did consider the all leather tail, however, as you say, tastes vary and I liked the look of the "wasp" tail. Its also a little bit more for me to polish :)

So the aim of the game today was to get the front wheel discs mounted, spacings sorted out and the spacers machined to suit.

I started with getting the rim central between the forks and marking it off. Once that was done I could put the discs on the axle, loosely and mount the brake calipers to ascertain what size spacer I would need. In the interim, I have just used washers, so that if any fine tuning is required, I am not machining another spacer for the discs.

Once I was happy with the alignment and the disc spacing, I started on the axle spacers. I decided to machine them out of aluminium, and use a steel shim to against the bearing inner race.

DSCN0826_zps97c01ddf.jpg

DSCN0827_zps4732b094.jpg

DSCN0830_zpsaf33706f.jpg

DSCN0833_zpsdeda7cc4.jpg

DSCN0834_zps9f46478b.jpg

DSCN0828_zpsd55d27fb.jpg

All in all, quite pleased with the outcome. The axle is solid and there is no play, which is always a good sign :) I will machine some spacers for the discs, when I get some large diameter aluminium.

Tomorrow - rear brake master cylinder, throttle and whatever else I think up ;)

Hi Airwolfie, the discs work fine. Perfect diameter, however the offset is a little shallow hence the spacers but I'm very happy with them. The calipers are tight but do clear, around 1mm either side. I will probably machine 2mm off the back of each one just to add some clearance.

Hi John, yes it'll be a carbon fibre effort for the original R1 however I'll need I make sure the tyre size and profile looks the part

beautiful work Paul.... that lathe certainly is earning its keep.!

Your progress is impressive .:thumbsup:

Hi Airwolfie, the discs work fine. Perfect diameter, however the offset is a little shallow hence the spacers but I'm very happy with them. The calipers are tight but do clear, around 1mm either side. I will probably machine 2mm off the back of each one just to add some clearance.

Very odd. Mine actually touch the spokes, almost to the point where they probably protrude INTO the spokes, not by a lot, but I can't turn the wheel when the caliper is on.

I did notice the zero offset on those discs, I'm just wondering if they not too far off the hub to be safe? I'm guessing longer bolts are in order then!!!!

Back