UK Cafe Racer Build Thread

Thats strange.Perhap it is because the wheels I have are from an XV535? Although I have checked and cant see any difference?

The discs do have an offset but only 5mm. However, the disc spacers that I'll machine will extend the flange of the hub and I have already got some nice titanium bolts with an additional 10mm on them :)

Back in the shed i go :)

I don't know mate, I don't have an answer for that! I am aware they will need spacers though!

Titanium bolts, nice! Going lightweight eh? Hehe!!

So, a little more done today on the bike. Made up a bracket to hold the front master cylinder resevoir out of aluminium and gave it the once over on the buffing wheel.

DSCN0835_zpsc0bd77e7.jpg

DSCN0837_zpsdbc3f8d6.jpg

Mounting the rear master cylinder posed a question - in or out? I decided to mount the master cylinder on the inside of the rearset, so I then needed to drill out the threads on the rear set and bolt right through. I think it looks much neater. That presented another problem, in that the actuator rod for the master cylinder was further away from the rearset arm. So, I decided to machine a tapered connecting shaft from aluminium and inset a little nylon bearing at the rearset end so that it can turn slightly. I wasnt keen on the fluid resevoir and I couldnt find anywhere that looked remotely good to put it. So, I used an idea from my racing days and made a "mini resevoir" from some clear tube and then machine a little black nylon cap to keep the contents in.

DSCN0838_zps8105f619.jpg

DSCN0840_zpsa26b89cf.jpg

DSCN0841_zps752fe03e.jpg

Moving to the rear of the bike, I have bought a small battery to run the Boyer Ignition system and the only two lights - front and rear. Its a 12v 3AH, however it shuld be plenty. The idea is to mount it under the hump. So, I have planned to use some aluminium angle and create a "pocket" for it sit snuggly then retained by a rubber strap. Before I could start on that, I wanted to get the plate sorted out that will hide the inside underneath. I chose some lightweight aluminium sheet and then made a template up out of the traditional cornflakes packet, marked it out and cut. It will be pop riveted to the frame, however, you get the general idea :)

DSCN0843_zps04a40ce8.jpg

DSCN0844_zps6600dcad.jpg

DSCN0842_zpsd719cb19.jpg

Hopefully, finish this little piece off next weekend :)

That was keen idea for the reservoir. Looks really clean and functional. The rearsets are top shelf as with the rest of the build. Nice lathe work on the parts for the reservoir. That small cap must have been a bugger to make. I really enjoy watching your builds and your creativity. :thumbsup:

Well some more done today. I finished off the aluminium underseat panet and made a battery bracket with a rubber battery strap to keep it in place. Once Ive powder coated the frame Ill make up some rubber mats for the battery to sit on.

DSCN0849_zps673acd60.jpg

DSCN0848_zps96210d5e.jpg

DSCN0847_zpsec82dc26.jpg

Using a couple of the original M6 holes underneath the bottom yoke, I drilled and tapped another to take a headlight bracket. While the yoke was off, I machined some nylon steering stops and drill and tapped out two M6 holes to take them. I though nylon as it will be kinder to the finished powder coat - and of course the weight ;)
Once they were on I fabricated a steel headlight bracket and mounted up the new headlight

DSCN0850_zps1e37e09e.jpg

DSCN0851_zps6a4337ab.jpg

DSCN0852_zpsaa6d1ffa.jpg

DSCN0853_zps8a61ba68.jpg

DSCN0854_zps7a6308e8.jpg

As always, damn nice work Paul! Have you started working with your new parts yet?
While hell, never mind!

Last edited:
Thanks Airwolfie, I was going to do them in aluminium then thought about the nylon which I think is better.

Thanks Stuproj46, see if you can change his mind - show him some pics of mine ;)

Back