UK Members - Sealants for Head Gaskets

Paul Sutton

I Collect Fingers
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I need a sealant that can be used around the timing chain area and the studs to prevent oil leaks when I put my head gasket back on (also for the valve cover, although blue Hylomar works OK here). I could not find Yamabond locally so just need a recommendation of what is available in the UK.

Thank you very much for any advice.

The Hylomar would be fine. But I'm going to try something different than the lines and rings of sealer on my next one. I'm going to follow a tip from the Griz and use spray-on Copper Coat sealer .....

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-401612-Copper-Gasket-Compound/dp/B000M8NZ8E

Apparently, this is a common practice and supposedly works well. It will certainly be easier to apply than all the little rings and lines. I don't know if this stuff is available in England but I don't know why it wouldn't be.

Edit : this would be for on the gaskets (head and I will probably do the base as well). I would still recommend a regular sealer for the top cover (Hylomar or Yamabond). Another sealer mentioned recently that is supposed to be much like Yamabond is Permatex Motoseal .....

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-29132-MotoSeal-Ultimate-Gasket/dp/B000HBGHKE

Last edited:
Thank you, unfortunately the CRC product does not show up on Ebay UK. I saw a mention about anaerobic sealants that only set in the absence of oxygen i.e. once the metal surfaces are pressed together. Any that squeezes out of the joint just dissolves up in the oil - interesting! Maybe!

RTV in two different colours is available, red and black. Which is the good one?

The RTVs seem all to be silicone. In the old days I would have used Gasket Goo. It came in a jar with an applicator with a cork handle that looked like a floor mop from a dolls house. It was a varnish, smelly, and you had to work fast before it dried. I may go to an auto shop and speak to the oldest guy I can find and see what he recommends. Will search the UK car forums too.

5twins, just saw your edit. Permatex exists over here so will look up its specification - Thanks.

I've used Permatex Form-A-Gasket copper spray on both fiber and copper head and base gaskets for years. Never had a problem. Don't know what's available on the far side of the pond.

I've used Permatex Form-A-Gasket copper spray on both fiber and copper head and base gaskets for years. Never had a problem. Don't know what's available on the far side of the pond.

Have you used the copper spray on base gasket that says 'they dont need additional sealant'?

Edit: like the basegaskets from mikesxs.

The Haynes manual said to not use sealants on the gasket at the base of the cylinders. I took their advice and have not had any leaks. Once upon a time and many years ago I did use sealant on this base gasket and it made it extremely difficult to remove the cylinders at a later date. There isn't much on a cylinder to lift from or hammer at to break the seal. The risk is breaking cooling fins when hammering.

Edit: I use the Athena gaskets and do not use a sealant on the base, side cover, sump or the valve covers and have not had any issues. The paper valve cover gaskets are quite thick and work well but need to be retightened a couple of times after the engine warms up.

Last edited:
That's a good point, Paul. I like the copper spray because it does release easily. Sometimes, though, you wind up working with a case or cylinder base surface that's not really bad enough to justify stripping the cases and running to the machine shop but not good enough to inspire confidence either. When I run across that I have no reservations about using a very tough sealant like Permatex Ultra Black. Re. separation, right, you don't want to beat on the fins. Bolt a piece of steel bar stock long enough to extend past the edges of the cylinder across the 8 mm. threaded holes in the cylinder. Tap on that until you get a little bit of separation at the base, then insert wood carpenter's shims if needed.

ebb0tk, member hooser (Gary Hoos, of Hoos Racing) recommends assembly with no base gasket if higher compression is desired. If he doesn't chime in here you might send him a message and ask what sealant he uses. If you're using stock pistons you should have plenty of room in squish and valve clearances, but some big bore pistons will show you no mercy on squish clearance. Be aware that cam timing will be slightly retarded by lowering the deck, making things a bit livelier at higher rpm. Been there, done that, liked the result, but you may not. 2M posted his research on effect of deck height on valve timing awhile ago. If a search doesn't turn it up for you I'm sure he'll guide you to the post.

I use wellseal it's a non hardening gasket material so don' get anything nasty in the engine, just paint it to both sides wait for the vapour to go and put it together,
I use it as a base gasket on the barrels as well as it's non hardening you can place it together and clamp it up a day or so later with no problems, but don't use anything on the head gasket itself, use it just on the crankcase halfs, base gasket and rocker cover,

If I was using one of those treated base gaskets, I probably wouldn't put anything extra on it. Supposedly they are already coated with heat activated sealer.

Back