Ultrasonic Cleaning Thread

650Skull

Cockytoo
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Pics to come

I bought myself a 6ltr ultrasonic cleaner after reading Mailmans account of his.

Bought this. Paid $147.00 (Aus) including postage of $10. Arrived in 8 Days.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2825395...il&pgrp=main:email&e=op&mchn=em&s=ci&mail=sys

Now to find a suitable cleaning solution that wont cost an arm and leg. Is there a decent home made solution??

Just tried a homemade solution that is a household recipe from the back of, lectric - Washing Soda, https://lectric.com.au/products/lectric-washing-soda-1kg
(just sodium Carbonate), Cleaner Detergent booster and water softener.

Recipe:
1.5 ltr water - 1Cup boiled, (200mil),
300ml of vinegar
60ml Dish-washing liquid
25ml eucalyptus oil
3 desert spoons of Washing soda

Mix washing soda with 1 cup of boiling water tp dissolve, add remainder of ingredients and pour into a spray bottle for household use.

I diluted this with plain water to fill the tank over the top of the basket.

I did a aluminum foil test as per....
http://www.ultrasoniccleaner.co.uk/test-ultrasonic-cleaner/

My foil is not as good as the first pic but better than the second...........

Done 2 oxidized and dirty, (not bad), Carb bowls and a oxidized Pewter coffee maker. On the Coffee maker it didn't seem to have much affect. cleaned the oxidization a bit but the inside still black

Carb bowls cleaned up nice but not shiny.......i was a bit cautious with the vinegar in the solution but the soda should help to neutralize. Still thoroughly washed in water and WD40'd them after

More to come.

So what do you have, use and results..................

Last edited:
Pics to come

I bought myself a 6ltr ultrasonic cleaner after reading Mailmans account of his.

Bought this. Paid $147.00 (Aus) including postage of $10. Arrived in 8 Days.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2825395...il&pgrp=main:email&e=op&mchn=em&s=ci&mail=sys

Carb bowls cleaned up nice but not shiny.......i was a bit cautious with the vinegar in the solution but the soda should help to neutralize. Still thoroughly washed in water and WD40'd them after

That’s a nice looking unit, I really like the generous size of it. I don’t know any homemade cleaning solution recipes, I was using Simple Green as you know, but I realize that’s not an option for you where you live.
I can tell you that chemically most of these cleaners seem to be a combination of some sort of acid and detergents.
Similar to what you’ve done with the vinegar and dish soap, and I would assume the eucalyptus oil acts as a surfacant. I can also tell you that after my carbs came out of the cleaner and hot water rinse, they were degreased and clean but not shiny. They had a flat grey appearance. They don’t shine up until you hit them with some small brass wire wheels. They shine up easily, it’s almost like they have a thin layer of dry residue on them and when you knock that off, they really shine up.
Here you can see a side by side shot of my carbs after coming out of the cleaner. One carb untouched , the other hit with the wire wheels.
9AFC27CE-E889-496B-B4DF-4F5B4843C973.jpeg

Sounds like nasty stuff cra-z1. How do you get rid of the waste???

Had thought about a degreaser.......Trying to be environmentally friendly as possible

On a Honda forum they are using LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner and Pinesol. I used the Totally Awesome Cleaner to soak a float bowl overnight, it etched the metal badly. My son was using the Totally Awesome diluted to wash his bike, the side cover decals became faded and cracked. I'm leery of most of these cleaners now.

Off topic.............I realized lately that RainX washer fluid has destroyed the clear coat on my car.

Do most of these designated ultrasonic cleaners recommend rinsing? Over night soaking can be..............

Scott

Sounds like nasty stuff cra-z1. How do you get rid of the waste???

Had thought about a degreaser.......Trying to be environmentally friendly as possible
Its actually pretty mild. The amout of stuff you get off the carbs is not that bad. The varnish and oil are suspended in the solution. I reuse it after it has settled a bit and toss the rest down the drain only if you have a city sewer connection. I would not put it in a septic system.

Last edited:
650Skull,
Here, we have a "New Zealand inspired" product called 'Jingos!' I haven't used it for anything, but it sounds like an organic cleaner similar to 'Simple Green'.
Since it's "inspired", is there a product available to you, that it's based on? Maybe that'll work for you....

In my opinion, the cleaned matt gray finish on carb bodies looks more original than polished. They were never polished from the factory.

Aluminum comes out of a mold bright and shiny, just like most castings. In contact with air it oxidizes, this leaves the dull grey color. This oxidization only penetrates a few thousandths deep.
This leaves a protective layer on the alloy that prevents most corrosion. Polishing removes this layer. This is why you need to keep polishing unless you add a protective coating. Most polishes have a wax in them that adds this protection.
I don't mind the dull grey, looks like it stock.
If anything I might paint them with a color that matches the stock color. Possibly a clear coat. Even a clear powder coat.
Leo

I ordered this from the Omega site gggGary posted. Looks like the 'good stuff'. Will post my findings. I will use Skull's aluminum foil test 1st. Has anyone used this yet? $40 to the door.

OmegaClean_web1.jpg

It does mention there are 2 formulas.......1 more alkaline and 1 more acidic......Good marketing, have to buy both for the different parts?????? lol

Thought I might revive this old thread. Just some pics of stuff I've cleaned in my US cleaner. I use Formula 88, it will not etch aluminum like simple green. Cleaners closer to neutral are FAR better for your aluminum stuff like carbs if you don't want them be grey and etched.
ultrasonic.jpg
us.jpg
ul2.jpg
ul1.jpg

Back