unbearable engine noise

alehsv

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Good morning friends, my motorcycle has a noise that I would like you to help me identify, it arose after the engine was assembled, when checking the tolerance I did not see any worrying play in either the cranks or the tread, when assembling I changed rings, chain guides, and the valves were seated, when I turned it on I saw this noise, the valves and the chain were already adjusted to what the manual says, I hope you can help me

Venezuela ??
Is it the same both sides ?
First thought ignition to advanced at idle I would try to retard a little
Is Valve Play checked ? edit see now it is checked

Hello, yes, I am from Venezuela, there are few motorcycles of this type here, this motorcycle has a CDI conversion, I am still going to get a stoboscopic lamp to check the ignition time, if the valves were adjusted

Hello, yes, I am from Venezuela, there are few motorcycles of this type here, this motorcycle has a CDI conversion, I am still going to get a stoboscopic lamp to check the ignition time, if the valves were adjusted

Since I dont know what ignition is installed I dont know the need for adjustments .But there is as far as I know always an adjustment possibility.
When I got the Alternator rewound the shop lost the timing mark so I have adjusted at lot via listening.
Either you test it with a strobe light for the ignition you have or you put a mark somewhere and adjust listening to the engine sound. Engine running . and returns to the marked setting if no improvement.
If it is to advanced -- Which is my First guess the sound will get quieter and the RPM Increase a little because the ignition point gets better . More correct
Please come back . One can also find the Sweet spot via blipping the throttle
If you kick start to advanced it can kick back on the kick starter
To retarded it can shoot in the Exhaust

I think I'd readjust the valves and timing chain and see if that makes any difference. To be honest, there's so much noise going on it's hard to tell anything. If we could eliminate the valves and chain as a cause, maybe we can listen further.

Valves are best set at .006" exhaust and and .003" intake.... inches, don't recall what that is in metric. That what you set yours too?

For the chain, the book doesn't give the best guidance. The more popular way is with the engine running at idle. Look for the pin to move in and out about 1-2mm... with it coming out almost flush.

Do both those tasks as well as check the timing as Jan suggested above.... and let us know if that helped?

Last edited:
Ouch! That's such a hard knock!
Oil? Swear she sounds like she's totally dry.
Pull the alternator cover and use a wrench to
easy rock the engine back and forth
if you get any real movement without resistance, it's internal.
Cam bearings, wrist pins, connecting rods???
pull the points cover or advance cover rock the engine and see if they move in sync
It runs too even and sounds too heavy a knock to be valves alone. :umm:
Don't run it anymore without finding the cause.
It runs, so It'll run. Best of luck!
Lots of guys here with more experience than me that will help, I'm sure.

Back