Unchartered territory

Chopperbri

First time amateur beginner
Reaction score
Just bought a 1980 XS650. From the VIN decode from 650Skull post I gather its an XS650-SG. Motor and frame VIN match, its got a TC's hardtail, and came with a few extras. Never built a bike before, but have done a fair amount of work on my other bike (although totally different). I'm excited to get working on it after I take stock of what's there and what I got in the boxes. New to the forums, so I'll have to get straight on the rules too.
Bare bike.jpg

Welcome to our little corner of the XS650 world.
Lets hope who ever added the hard tail did it with the engine in the frame. If not the engine may not bolt back in. If you haven't had the engine in the frame that might be the first thing I'd check.
No sense in building a bike that you can't put an engine in.
The disc brake on both end is a good idea.
I might want a bit more fender on the rear and one on the front. Never can tell when you will get caught out in the rain.
I built a set of head pipes from bends as you have in the pics.
If you want to run without the front fender I would add a fork brace. This will stiffen the forks. The stock front fender has one built into it.
Have fun doing the build. Take lots of pics, we like pics.
Leo

Welcome to our little corner of the XS650 world.
Lets hope who ever added the hard tail did it with the engine in the frame. If not the engine may not bolt back in. If you haven't had the engine in the frame that might be the first thing I'd check.
No sense in building a bike that you can't put an engine in.
The disc brake on both end is a good idea.
I might want a bit more fender on the rear and one on the front. Never can tell when you will get caught out in the rain.
I built a set of head pipes from bends as you have in the pics.
If you want to run without the front fender I would add a fork brace. This will stiffen the forks. The stock front fender has one built into it.
Have fun doing the build. Take lots of pics, we like pics.
Leo
So there was a previous hardtail installed, the guy I bought it from cut it off and did the TC's kit. He said he had the engine in the frame when it was welded up. I'll throw it in there first thing to be sure. I know I have a lot of learning to do. Spent most of the evening looking into reliability items (mainly electrical). Still haven't waded into the ignition side, which it seems I have the TCI. It's all a new language to me. I'll start a new thread when get my plan together, with lots of pics!

Back