UNI pods are definitely better, but...

..... or take a quick spin with the filters removed all together. If you did use that regular foam filter oil on your UNIs and they are the black foam type, I would wash them out and just use the motor oil/gas mix.

Yeah, because you are the guru, I take your word for it. But I have to admit it does freak me out a bit, the idea of gunning around without filters. I know some people run those velocity stack things, which is like a beer can with the ends cut off, and a bit of window screening between it and the engine. Do they eventually regret that decision? How come we aren't all running beer cans with some fly netting? That'd be a lot cheaper than even the cheapest K&N knock-offs.

I guess maybe the key words were "quick spin"? I'll hold my breath, and try it.

Yes, just one quick ride. It won't hurt anything. Just don't go down any dusty dirt roads or take the ride during a sand storm, lol.

Went around the block. No sandstorms. It wasn't a night and day difference. It seemed peppier without filters; pretty sure. Not a ton of difference. Which is good, sort of. I did notice that when I removed the UNIs, a lot of oil was left on my fingers, and it had pooled a wee bit on bottom (as defined by gravity) of the outer, red filter lip. Gonna guess that means too much.

I re-sync'ed the carbs with my DIY manometer. Cut a quarter-inch slice of vinyl tubing, and jammed it on the speed screw top (something I saw suggested... somewhere on this forum) so I can manually turn it; speed it up while it warms, and then drop it down again once toasty.

So we're getting there. Slowly but surely.

Eventually, the excess oil will drip off or get sucked in through the engine. But, if it is the wrong stuff, I'd wash it off and put the right stuff on there. These are very nice running bikes when everything is set up right. But I mean everything - valve settings, timing, cam chain, carbs. It all combines to give you a good running machine. Have some or all the settings off just a little and it won't run as well as it could.

Thanks man. You're an inspiration.

It's the right oil. Lucas filter oil. Blue, so you can see where it has been applied.

When I put the bike away 11 years ago, I had done all of what you mentioned. I imagine some of the adjustables you mention did not stay adjusted while it sat. During that time, I also managed to forget most of what I learned about maintaining the XS650. It's slowly coming back. I'll need to go through all of those adjustables, just to remember what I forgot...

Oh, BTW, I had a question about the idea of 50/50 gas/oil mix to put on UNIs. Isn't gas bad for the foam and/or rubber base? I'm sure I read somewhere that after cleaning UNIs with gas, it's recommended to clean well with soapy water to get rid of the gas.

But then, I've noticed quite a few references to ethanol as the culprit for eating stuff. Are you using ethanol-free gas, mixed with oil?

So much to learn ;-)

....or rather than worrying about being a bit slow off the line, you could just relax and ride that wonderful old bike enjoying the beautiful sound of the days when men were men and motorcycles were vertical twins and know that your engine (both the bottom and the top end) is getting just a little extra lubricant (which is never a bad thing...).

Besides, you can still blow the doors off any car and most older bikes...:D

Sorry GH, I guess I'm in an especially mellow mood having spent the entire day in the Disaster Central Workshop farkling my ST1300 and generally checking it over for my upcoming trip.

Ahhhhhhhh - finally an entire day in the DCW. ;);):D:laugh2::bike:

Back