Universal Ignition Issue

freakchopper

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bike was starting fine until one day last week when I turned the key and my ignition cylinder turned with the key. The bike wouldn't start, I then noticed my ignition wires pulled out from the terminals. ..well ..getting these pulled ignition wires back in the already crimped terminals was a futile effort so I elected to purchase some new terminals from Lowes. I removed the old terminals and replaced them with the Lowes terminals and nothing happens when I turn the key...no juice at all.
20210408_171744[1].jpg
I can almost get the bike to hotwire but it still doesn't turn over ..very weak ...any suggestions ?

These are the new Lowes terminals ...the one wire came out (easy fix) however this makes me think that I may not be doing something right here
20210409_211323.jpg
...Is there a method to doing this ?

You’re crimping to far away from the ring terminals. You’re just squeezing the plastic. Those Lowe’s terminals aren’t the greatest to begin with especially on an American V-twin. When I was a Harley Tech we would solder everything that wasn’t a Deutsche plug because plain crimp terminals wouldn’t even make it to the end of the parking lot.

Also if you are going to use those type of ring terminals you really should be using crimping pliers and not just smushing them with regular pliers.

Back