unknown plastic stick beside oil sump filter

marp68

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
After removing the oil sump filter, I noticed a small thing sticking out just beside the oil sump filter. It is made of plastic and about 10 cm.

Could it be a part from the chain tensioner? :confused:

If this part is from the chain tensioner, would you think it be okej to use the bike and wait until next winter to change the tensioner?

See images...

/M

Attachments

• IMG_2841.jpg
    IMG_2841.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2843.jpg
    IMG_2843.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 122
It's part of the front chain guide, not the rear tensioner. The front guide has raised ridges of plastic running down both sides and those are usually the first parts that start breaking off. You can probably get another season out of it. Just change the oil often (like every 1000 miles) and check the drained oil for metal flakes. They would indicate the plastic is gone or worn through and the chain is rubbing on metal.

Okej, thanks. So, with "front" guide you mean towards the wheel, that is, the driving direction?

The oil, oil filter and the oil sump filter looked okej, however. The PO seemed to have changed it all just before selling the bike. No metal flakes or holes in the filter.

But, there may have been metal flakes tehere before the PO changed the oil right before selling the bike... So I think I will not run the bike that much before checking the filters again. Hopefully, there will be no metal flakes and I can wait until next winter to change the tensioner.

I read another thread that said that one has to remove the cylinder head to change the guides? What more would be the minimum to remove to change the tensioners?

/M

Yes, it's mounted inside the front of the cylinder. You can see it here still mounted on a freshly pulled cylinder .....

FrontChainGuide.jpg

Those 2 chrome bolts on the front of the jugs behind the oil pipe hold it in place.

When replacing, it's best to remove the head and the cylinders. You can accomplish the switch with the cylinders still in place but you've gone this far, might as well pull them and do it right. The guide needs to be centered and vertical. You can't tell if the bottom part is aligned properly if the jugs are still in place.

Okej, damn...

I bought the bike during the autumn and just did som test rides. but, of course, these things are hard to discover just looking at the bike, listen to the engine or riding it. I'm quite good at fixing other things, but I've never taking apart an engine, besides changing clutches. Seem a bit delicate. So if I can wait until next winter, I could enjoy the bike during next season and feel more motivated getting into it...

And when taking apart the cylinders, are there any other things i could check/replace at the same time, would you say? Besides the gaskets, of course.?

M

I had a look at the chain guide at xs650shop. It could be the side wall on the chain guide. See image

Attachments

• 05_0006_cam chain guide.jpg
    05_0006_cam chain guide.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 67
The cam guides really are the first thing to go on these engines.

Marp, don't be discouraged. Get a good xs650 guide and crack into it. It's a lot more simple than it looks. While you're changing the guide out, you'll have a chance to examine the rest of the top end. (check the condition of the cam, cam chain, chain guide which already looks kaputt, valves, valve seals, valve springs, tensioner, pistons, piston rings, cylinder walls)

Really, it's a lot more simple than it sounds. Once you crack it open, you'll see what I mean. If you fuck up, just search/post a question, the gurus are quick to answer here.

btw, I visited Stockholm in 09, loved the city, looked like a fun place to own a motorcycle.

Thanks for the inspirational words, which will come hand when I change it next year. Until then I will run the bike and listen to bad noise and do frequent inspection of the filters.

Is it possible to take out and check the oil filter on the RH side without draining the oil?

M

Yes, you can pull that right side filter without draining the oil. A little may dribble out so have some rags or paper towels ready, and put the bike on the sidestand. That will put most of the oil over on the other side of the motor.

Okej, great, then i can inspect it even more frequently and the oil sump filter approx. every 1000 km.

Thanks again

M

Back