Unshave my fork? Is welding new tabs ok?

Torchard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Do I need to disassemble my forks if I were to tack some fender tabs? Is heat a concern? Note that it wasn’t me who removed all but the brake tabs. Thanks. T.

If it were mine, I believe my choice would be to replace the fork lowers. Saying that, I don't know the difficulty in that at your location.
upload_2021-9-29_10-3-20.png

Look at some of what's available direct bolt on:
http://motolanna.com/ourshop/cat_367915-Fenders.html

I think there a good chance you'll ruin them if you do. They need to be perfectly round for the upper tube to slide with as little stiction as possible. Heat distortion would be a real concern.

I thought you’d say that. The PO is causing me some grief I wasn’t aware at the time. Good thing the price was right. ;).

I think there a good chance you'll ruin them if you do. They need to be perfectly round for the upper tube to slide with as little stiction as possible. Heat distortion would be a real concern.

If it were mine, I believe my choice would be to replace the fork lowers. Saying that, I don't know the difficulty in that at your location.
View attachment 198974
Look at some of what's available direct bolt on:
http://motolanna.com/ourshop/cat_367915-Fenders.html

Made something very similar for 9 bucks with a fender off Amazon. Drilled out the spot weld on my original fender (PO cut it down and painted it so no harm done by me anyways). Pulled the fender - riveted the 9dollar fender to my original brace.

bad pic but pretty easy to make and could use a bigger/ longer fender if you desired.
5C522B27-D84E-431A-9885-5EF059BBAD4A.jpeg

If I get this right it is the Tubes that has been cleaned / shaved if so I would look into
making some sort of Clamp that sits on the tube with bolts -- perhaps aluminum flat bar
on the outside With new mount holes

If I get this right it is the Tubes that has been cleaned / shaved if so I would look into
making some sort of Clamp that sits on the tube with bolts -- perhaps aluminum flat bar
on the outside With new mount holes
Agreed. Unless I change the tube bottoms which I’m not gonna do at this point. Thanks.

What year and size forks do you have, 34mm or 35mm
You can probably find someone that will switch with you or find used lowers at reasonable cost

What year and size forks do you have, 34mm or 35mm
You can probably find someone that will switch with you or find used lowers at reasonable cost

I think I paid $100 for a complete set of Xs2 forks from an eBay bike dismantler, like Mr. Monkeyclaw. At first I was kinda pissed I had to buy a whole set of forks to get the legs, but I wound up needing some internal parts after I started rebuilding them, so it turned out for the best.

Thanks all. I’m good for the moment. I’ll install a fork brace. Might forego the fender on the short term. I’ll replace the bottoms when it’s time for lowering (bike build 2.0). And I’ll keep an eye out locally for a pair.

Back