Upgrades/Improvements

DSCF4008.jpg
[/IMG]

Alright!!

If I get you right, McAnnashee, you´re going to tear the engine apart no matter what, right?? And you´ll have a local dealer/shop do the job for you, right??

Your thread ask for improvments so why no get an eletrical system that´s more safe then stock (I´m not saying stock electricity systems are bad) but it seems there are safer/better systems out there.

If I where going for a total teardown (someday I will:D) I would get me a welded crank, re-build carbs and a minor polish of the head since it´s fairly rough from factory......besides all stuff that´s out of wear limit, of course. There may be much more to do while have it apart but I´m not talking about tuning at this moment.

Look around at the forum for a while, get yourself an idea of what you want or not.......as I said before, there´s a lot of knowledge here.

/BigBoreSwede

Swede picked her up today, the last owner has started to do a strip down. That was seven years ago been stood in his garage bits in box's but the main body of the bike is still intact.

There appears to be oil leaking around the base of the cylinders, and the top gasket looks like the gasket sealant out of a tube. for some reason i cannot download photos

Look around at the forum for a while, get yourself an idea of what you want or not.......as I said before, there´s a lot of knowledge here.

/BigBoreSwede[/QUOTE]

Swede that is exactly what I intend to do, I may not start any serious work on her till the Autumn.

Well here is my 10 cents worth.
Before you start anything decide what you want i.e. a race bike or a road bike.

Then go to 650 Central and buy Craig Weekes XS650/750 engine modification guide it’s available as a PDF download and has good solid information. This will save you money and time.

You are not going over the top fitting an electronic ignition you will benefit greatly from it.
Have you considered using a probe ignition http://www.probe-eng.com/servlet/StoreFront

These units have digital advance and do not require the mechanical advance rod and weights so it may work out more cost effective than a Pamco if you include the cost of parts you don’t have. Also less moving parts to fail.

I have brought two probe ignitions they are super easy to install and work well. Mark from probe has answered all my questions promptly and has provided what I consider a good after sales service.

The permanent magnet alternator modification.
Have a look at the Australian XS 650 club website it has a step by step guide to fitting a LC/RZ alternator. There should be heaps of Elsie parts still in the UK. I have done two conversions they are also straight forward.

I've restored a few old Britmobiles and built a few race cars, something I learned the hard way: You really need a plan first. I jumped right into modifying my bike as soon as I got it but I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I'd been planning it for years and done a lot of research, much of it on this forum. The bike was pretty much built in my head before I ever picked up a wrench.

I'm not knocking you in any way, I'd just like to say unless you have a hard idea of what you want to accomplish I would suggest that before jumping into a whole bunch of expensive modifications immediately it would be best to get it running, put a few miles (kilometers?) on it and list what you do and don't like about the bike, plus see what does and does not work. There's few things worse than pumping lots of legal tender into something only to discover that you have a nightmare of troubleshooting and sorting ahead of you. That's why many projects get dumped in a corner of a garage somewhere and are picked up for peanuts. That's how you got yours, right? :D

For instance, I did not change the TCI ignition or do the permanent magnet alternator mostly because I knew they worked and that left me two less things to worry about at startup time. It makes the project much easier to live with if you know something works! Also, if a part has, say, a 6 month warranty and it sits on the shelf for 8 months before you get a chance to hang it on the bike, it's out of warranty if it doesn't work and you are screwed.

Back