Ural

jefft

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Anyone ever owned a Ural. I never owned a sidecar rig and their don't seem to be a whole lot available from the factory these days as a complete unit. Ural however does have one. I have heard some negative remarks in the past about them but from what I understand they have improved much in the last couple years with fuel injection and steering dampener. Has anyone ever owned one that can comment? I would like the sidecar to take my dog along. I think it would be fun to take off on a cross country trip with a sidecar rig you could throw a few items in for the trip.
jefft

don't own one but there is 3 new ones with sidecars around my town,1 bloke just took his for a months trip from nth qld to Tasmania and back (virtually ran the motor in) all 3 say no major problems besides oil leaks but all complain on how slow, with side car sits on around 80ks (48mph?) on open road BUT they all like them..1 lives in the bush with a very wild dirt driveway and reckons best thing since his dirt bikes,all said the brakes could with a bit of upgrading as well

Last edited:
My nephew has a Dneper. It's the same thing. Pretty reliable. There is a guy in Ohio who restores and sells them, and that's where this one came from. It's pretty cool. PM me if you want his info as it's for sale. He bought a big new Indian and doesn't have any time for it now. I saw a new Ural 750 at the Iowa Moto Guzzi rally last year and he had over 12 grand in it with a few upgrades.

http://ottumwa.craigslist.org/mcy/4970303531.html

I'm hearing reports of around 70 mph speeds with the new fuel injection and steering dampener upgrades since 2014. I hear they are easy to work on and maintain.
jefft

on aust ural spec site recom speed/ injectors 115 kls /carb 105 kls but maybe figures are without sidecar..us site says 70mph,,all 3 local owners have said same hway speed with side car comfit zone 80ks per hour,the are a big heavy sidecar but all 3 happy with them

I put a cozy sidecar on an XS650. It works great. The XS makes plenty of power, and will go 70 MPH, maybe faster with this sidecar attached. I did build a subframe to mount the sidecar properly. I have a friend that has a Ural sidecar rig, it works good but I like mine more.

Anyone ever owned a Ural. I never owned a sidecar rig and their don't seem to be a whole lot available from the factory these days as a complete unit. Ural however does have one. I have heard some negative remarks in the past about them but from what I understand they have improved much in the last couple years with fuel injection and steering dampener. Has anyone ever owned one that can comment? I would like the sidecar to take my dog along. I think it would be fun to take off on a cross country trip with a sidecar rig you could throw a few items in for the trip.
jefft
Hi jefft,
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SCT/info
to get all the information on sidecars that you'll ever need.
As to Ural sidecar rigs, check out the Ural site on the web for models and prices.
A new Ural rig will run you $10,000+ depending on which model you choose.
The new ones are reliable and have warranties.
The older they are the less they cost and the more TLC they'll need.
To hang a reasonable used sidecar onto an XS650 can cost as little as the $500 I paid for my collision damaged Velorex plus another $500 in good attachment hardware.
Performancewise, a Ural rig is about like an XS650 rig, great round town and OK on 2-lane blacktop, be prepared to spend a lot of your highway miles running on the hard shoulder being overtaken by little old ladies in K cars.
Ridewise, you gotta realize it ain't a bike no more, it only looks like one.
A rig don't countersteer like a solo.
That little leftwise twitch on the bars that starts a solo leaning over to turn right?
That same leftwise twitch will start a rig turning left.
Across the street.
Into the ditch if you're lucky.
Into a semi if you ain't.
A rig handles like a lopsided quad and you can steer it with the throttle.
Accelerate and it turns right. Slow down or brake and it turns left.
Spend a day or so in a deserted car park doing figure 8s learning how to lift the sidecar wheel and more importantly, how not to.
Problems:- They ride funny and they are as wide as a car.
Advantages:- They don't fall over, they happily ride on mud, frost, gravel and up to an inch of snow, they can carry an amazing amount of stuff, a dog or even a lady in a party dress. And they are a great chick magnet.

Chick magnet?

7pm9d.jpg

mousepad_barneys_sidecar_comp.jpg

They are just copies of old Beemers, so they're not bad anyway. Nephew never complained about power.

The Russians have never be known to for their craftsmanship in quality,when these clones hit the US market you had to completely go through the motors as in most instances the engine specs where way off the charts.

I own a 2013 Patrol 2WD. No problems at all. It's built like a tank. I've ridden it in snowstorms. It definitely does not handle like a motorcycle but it is a blast to ride. My wife loves riding in the sidecar. 2013 is the last year of the carbeurated bikes. 2014 and newer have the fuel injection and disc brakes on all three wheels. I only have a front disc and drum brakes on the other two wheels. It comfortably goes 55 mph all day long and I can go 65 if I have to. I wouldn't want to do it for an extended period of time. I ride mine mostly between 40 and 50 mph on back roads and hit any dirt roads I can find along the way. The fuel injected ones are faster. Also I retrofit the 2014 steering damper to mine and it made a huge difference in controlling the bike. Throttle changes, braking and shifting unsettled the bike before the steering damper. The two wheel drive is great in snow, dirt, rocks, mud, etc. It has a huge alternator to power heated gear if you happen to live in a cold climate. Also, it's great to have reverse.

Back