Muckroot

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello,

I am talking with a guy in virginia about a set of forks he's got for (we think) an XS650. I'm interested in using just the forks, triple tree, bar clamps, and axle. I won't be using the fender, wheel, bars, or headlight brackets. I might use the hand controls but I haven't decided yet. I intend to rebuild and polish everything I possibly can so it'll be nice and shiny and like new for my hardtail project.

Here's what I need to know:

-are these 100% positively XS650 forks? I've already ended up with a pair of forks that don't fit my bike so I want to be super sure these are the right ones. I have an 1975 XS650B frame. Any chance anyone can tell which model of 650 these might have come from? whether they'd be 34's or 35MM? and are all XS650 wheels interchangeable between forks?

-are the bearing surfaces on the neck stem too rusted? they look a wee bit pitted but I figure I'd soda blast the stem to clean it up and then grease it. will the little bit of pitting matter a whole lot? I'll be using modern style roller bearings. (my bike no longer has a neck lock mechanism so I'm not worried about the center of the stem much ((unless I should be? lol))

-are the upper fork stanchion tubes chromed or are they just polished? if chromed, does the chrome on these look like it's got a lot of life left in it? I don't know a whole lot about working with chrome, or what to look for to see if it's too far gone.

-over all, is there anything you folks can see on this front assembly that would prevent me from getting it back into tip top shape with a lot of elbow grease, buffing, blasting, and powder coating?

(I plan on polishing the aluminum fork lowers, buffing the upper fork tubes/stanchions, rebuilding the forks with new seals and boots, replacing the bar clamp rubber spacers plus polishing the aluminum clamps, blasting and powder coating the triple tree, and soda blasting the neck stem and then banging on a new set of modern roller bearings.)

-Is it worth it to go ahead and get the wheel as well? my main worry is that the shape of the wheel will bump up the cost of shipping considerably. the forks and tree would be coming from virgina to Colorado.

-would it be difficult to rebuild the hand controls? these look like a hydraulic front disk brake, so im guessing I'd need to clean up the reservoir and replace a couple o-rings and such, is that pretty much all there is to it?

IMG_9440.JPG IMG_9441.JPG IMG_9442.JPG IMG_9443.JPG IMG_9444.JPG

best, Muckroot

OK, I will give it a go.

Here's what I need to know:

-are these 100% positively XS650 forks? They look like XS forks. The MC reservoir and fender look right. As far as the year I have no idea - more knowledgeable folks will have to chime in. If you want to know the leg diameter ask the seller to slap a vernier caliper on them. As far as interchangeability between models and years, check the triple tree part numbers at partzolla.com.

If you are upgrading to tapered roller bearings like All Balls, you will remove the races (on the tree and in the steering neck), so their condition does not matter.

-are the upper fork stanchion tubes chromed or are they just polished? They are hard chromed, like the rest of the fork tubes. The photo does not show the lowers. If they are pitted they need to be rechromed - not cheap if you can find a place to do it.

-over all, is there anything you folks can see on this front assembly that would prevent me from getting it back into tip top shape with a lot of elbow grease, buffing, blasting, and powder coating? The assembly is in poor shape. Why not find something local or on e-bay? I would not pay to have this particular unit shipped halfway across the country.

(I plan on polishing the aluminum fork lowers, buffing the upper fork tubes/stanchions, rebuilding the forks with new seals and boots, replacing the bar clamp rubber spacers plus polishing the aluminum clamps, blasting and powder coating the triple tree, and soda blasting the neck stem and then banging on a new set of modern roller bearings.). Yup. That and addressing the fork tubes.

-Is it worth it to go ahead and get the wheel as well? my main worry is that the shape of the wheel will bump up the cost of shipping considerably. the forks and tree would be coming from virgina to Colorado. If you need a wheel and it looks to be in good shape, go for it. Get a LOT of detailed photos before pulling the trigger.

-would it be difficult to rebuild the hand controls? these look like a hydraulic front disk brake, so im guessing I'd need to clean up the reservoir and replace a couple o-rings and such, is that pretty much all there is to it? Hand control can be rebuilt. It depends on the shape they are in. If it sat out in a field for years (as it looks), the controls will be beyond repair and the MC reservoir will be brittle and unuseable. There are $13 switch assemblies and master cylinders available on e-bay. They are typically serviceable.

In a nutshell, I would look for a local motorcycle junkyard and see what they have. Based on the VIN you can find out the model of the bike then start looking on e-bay.

The master cylinder is post 76 so chances are they are 35mm. 74 and up wheel will fit.
The triple trees will fit your 76 neck.

From the looks of the top caps (non-adjustable), I'm going to say it's a '77 front end. Personally, I love the flanged alloy wheels. People ask big, stupid money for them on eBay, like $100 or more, but I won't give more than $20 or $30 for one.

Back