1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Using neutral light instead of clutch switch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scottrt, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Buckhorn Gang Member Top Contributor

Thanks for all that 5twins, I learn some thing I had overlooked. Consequently when I rewired my Virago I interlocked the neutral and clutch switches because I thought it was Yamaha's standard model based on my SH(US Import). I could remove the interlock but I wanted to severely elliminate the probability of the starter engaging when the engine is running as I have not yet worked out how to use the Yamaha XS650 "yellow alternator wire method/safety relay system" on the Virago because it is a PMA and voltage is there as soon as the crank starts turning.

Thank you.

2. Scottrt

Scottrt XS650 Enthusiast

Limpio indeed has a jumper wire across the connector where he removed the side stand switch, which I guess basically makes the bike think the kickstand is down all the time. Once I get the engine back in and get things wired backup I will remove that jumper from the side stand and see if it behaves properly, I'm thinking it might. Thanks to Paul and 5T for all the guidance.