Valve Adjustment- Video

Hi Bill great series...can't wait for the next...next...etc. I kown it's not a biggy, but it would be easier to see the timing marks in the vid if you rubbed a little chalk or soap stone over them and then gently wipe off the excess. Makes them jump out visually, but I'm sure you already know this trick and just forgot when you made the vids. GREAT JOB!:bike:

Hi Bill great series...can't wait for the next...next...etc. I kown it's not a biggy, but it would be easier to see the timing marks in the vid if you rubbed a little chalk or soap stone over them and then gently wipe off the excess. Makes them jump out visually, but I'm sure you already know this trick and just forgot when you made the vids. GREAT JOB!:bike:

Lol, I filmed it with a cell phone.

BIGGGG Thanks! IS there any full video's of piston replacement? thanks-new member

What you have done is top quality, best quality presentations. You have excellent teaching skills. Your presentations are simple, straight forward and they cover all the critical do's and don't's. Well done indeed.

All the Best

Tom

I've been doing the valves on a 1977 xs650D.

I've been using the knucklebuster pdf as my manual ( http://www.knucklebusterinc.com/tech/XS650.pdf ). The manual seems to be for xs650E.

On the maintanance page it gives me
In: .10mm ( .0039 )
Ex: .15mm ( .0059 )

The intake number is different from what's above in the video post. Should I go with the .06mm (.0024) for the intake?

Attachments

• manual-page-9.png
    manual-page-9.png
    205.5 KB · Views: 317
Yes, go about .003" on the intakes. If you use .004", they're probably tick.

I've been doing the valves on a 1977 xs650D.

I've been using the knucklebuster pdf as my manual ( http://www.knucklebusterinc.com/tech/XS650.pdf ). The manual seems to be for xs650E.

On the maintanance page it gives me
In: .10mm ( .0039 )
Ex: .15mm ( .0059 )

The intake number is different from what's above in the video post. Should I go with the .06mm (.0024) for the intake?
5twins post wasnot there when I was posting Hes the Man :agree:
I set intake 4 thousanths of an inch .oo4 or .10mm some people set it a little tighter
exhaust 6 thousanths of an inch .006 or .15mm and some people set it a little tighter

I'm interested in swapping my tappet adjuster screws/nuts to Mikesxs Hex Socket type (Mikesxs Part# 01-9095) that are referenced in one of the great videos.

Is the replacement a simple matter of unscrewing the factory screws, screwing in the hex type, then resetting the valve clearances?

Any tips or instructions out there?

Yes, that's all there is to it for those screws. They seem rather expensive though. It's going to cost you $34 to replace all 4. You could do the VW elephant foot adjuster screws for less than that but they do require some rocker grinding. Very nice mod though if your head is apart.

d4GSTWu.jpg

Last edited:
OK, Thanks as always, 5twins.

Those elephant foot screws are definetely a mod I'd be interested in, but I'll have to put that one my long-term "to-do" list...

5Twins,
Other than cost, what is the VW Elephant screw swap advantage? With grinding the rockers taken into account, seems like a risk factor has been introduced.....

Ok quick question, when marking TDC after PMA swap do I assume I am finding the highest point of rotation on the cylinder on the left (closest to PMA) to make the TDC mark? After that initial mark I make adjustments based on which valve I am adjusting?

Just did my cam chain and valve adjustments yesterday thanks to these videos!
I found that with the spark plugs out, there was actually to little compression so my timing marks would jump past eachother too easily, I put the plugs half way into the cylinders to get a bit more resistance.

Question: For intake clearance on my XS650C, I'm looking for 0.05mm on intake and 0.15mm on exhaust. To check the next highest up, I've got different gauges that go up different increments...

For example, on the intake valve clearance, my gauge from Mikesxs goes from 0.05mm to 0.06mm, whereas a couple other gauges I have go from 0.05mm (or .051mm) with the next highest being 0.076mm (or 0.08mm).

So, what should my "No-Go" gauge be for checking intake clearance (with target of 0.05mm)? Perhaps a dumb question, but there are different feeler gauges out there.

Tip From A Hack? One thing I found is that a Line-Wrench (I use for brake line work) controls the 12mm nut as just well as a box end wrench and better than an open-end. You can see the nut rotating and you don't have to remove the 4mm hex wrench from the tappet adjuster screw repeatedly since the line wrench slips right over...

Attachments

• Line_Wrench_Valve_Clearance_Adjustment.jpg
    Line_Wrench_Valve_Clearance_Adjustment.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
littlebill, awesome video, helped me adjust the cam chain tension as well as start the valve adjustment. (I am newbie to motorcycles)

Last edited:
Back