Valve Adjustment- Video

HOLY CRAP what a PITA!!!!!!!!!!! I just spent the last 4 hours doing my valves......all except one were way too tight versus spec. Another one was so touchy I had to actually use my fingers to adjust! Even my cam tensioner was too tight, it's a wonder my bike hasn't had issues with these things.

Thanks so much for the videos, I'd probably mucked it all up without them. :thumbsup:

Is there any precautions in doing the exhaust side when you have the decompression system that is on my 1972?
Can I use some Permatex on the gaskets or do I need to order more new parts.
Just getting my ducks in order prior to my frustrating carb issues.
thanks jack

The decompression lever forces the valve open so just make sure there's slack in the cable or mechanism and it's not doing that. Gasket sealer isn't recommended or you'll have a heck of a time getting the covers off next time. I would just use motor oil or grease on them.

Great video! Newbie here and I'm having trouble identifying the kind of engine I have.
I'm trying to do a valve adjustment but am unsure of how to identify the engine itself.
The beast to be is a 83-84 heritage special 5v5, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here you go.

Tappets - model...inlet...exhaust
...XS1-B.....0.003"(0.076mm)...0.006"(0.15mm)
...XS2-650..0.006"(0.15mm)....0.012"(0.30mm)
...XSB........0.0024"(0.06mm)...0.004"(0.10mm)
...XSC-on...0.0024"(0.06mm)...0.006"(0.15mm)

So you are using the .0024" IN and .006" EX clearance.

Attachments

• XS Serial No 5v5.jpg
    XS Serial No 5v5.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Great Job littlebill...Also Great info Brian. This is exactly what I needed. Great Jobs Guys:thumbsup::D:thumbsup::D

Awesome videos and very simple explanations. Does anyone know where I can pick up a cheap square socket for the tappets or even just a tappet adjustment wrench like Mikes sells? Would rather not wait for shipping!

Awesome videos and very simple explanations. Does anyone know where I can pick up a cheap square socket for the tappets?

Watched it twice before doing mine, really nice indeed props to Bill.

Square socket: use your finger, should be that simple. Or a small adjustable wrench if they really want to turn when tightening, but that should not take much force.

Note: when I inspected mine the original screws were pitted, the adjustments by PO (or whoever stripped one of the cover studs at the same occasion) were apparently reversed (exhaust <-> intake). Take them out all the way and look at each surface. Ran way better afterward, needless to say.

Maybe look into spare adjusters in case, allen type as Bill suggests, it's not good to leave pitted ones in there, and is a PITA to get an accurate reading.

Thank you for this video! I watched them all a bunch of times before and during mine and it was a huge help. I found them on YouTube.
Thanks again! :thumbsup:

On the compression stroke my rockers have some play in them. I guess this is normal. My question is regarding how this play impacts the clearance. Seems like the rockers could shift slightly when using the guages, giving false readings.

On the compression stroke my rockers have some play in them. I guess this is normal. My question is regarding how this play impacts the clearance. Seems like the rockers could shift slightly when using the guages, giving false readings.

I had the same question yesterday when I did them.i just did as he said and let the guages slide in on there own accord and not force them.with the play the correct guage went in and the next size up as instructed did not.still,I was left with the same question...:confused:

Back