1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Valve bounce, maybe? stuffed two valves!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kevski, May 21, 2020 at 2:20 PM.

1. grizld1

grizld1 Grumpy old man Top Contributor

Kevski, the thing that gives me heartburn with certain vendors is that they keep selling products that are known to be bad for years because they make more from the junk than they would from good items that are currently available. Then when I point out the defective item it often induces a shill to accuse me of making a personal attack on the vendor. Maybe I should just shut up and let guys waste their time and money. Anyway, I truly admire your tolerant outlook and even temper.

Jack, your post indicates that you've already decided what to do with with that camshaft--use it for a doorstop!

Mailman, GLJ and Jim like this.
  2. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I'd prefer both you and Jack continue to share your knowledge and wisdom with us. :D

lakeview, timbeck, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  3. grizld1

grizld1 Grumpy old man Top Contributor

Wisdom?! Thanks for the kind thoughts, Jim, but if any of us geezers had even a trace of wisdom we probably wouldn't be fooling with motorcycles, let alone old ones!

4. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yeah... good point. Suppose I could use my retirement years to learn how to paint dog portraits or sumpin'.... ;)

grizld1 and Mailman like this.
  5. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

7ECC6DC6-EDC1-40CD-B963-7CDCABCD18FA.jpeg

thuban, cra-z1, GLJ and 3 others like this.
  6. kevski

kevski XS650 Addict

kent uk
    Back to the thread and head, i checked the stainless valves in the stuffed head all within spec no oversize stems even the one that bent, so this head will go on the back burner, replacement head stripped cleaned threads chased, de-coked, what little there was, tappet cover stud repaired, valves cleaned checked then lapped in, re-assembled and put back on the motor, waiting on camshaft seals otherwise it would have been up and running tomorrow, will video it running when done.

Mailman, thuban, Jim and 2 others like this.