Valve Guide Removal... please help me!

cheftay

Keepin' it real
Reaction score
Hey Guys, it's been a while since I've been able to work on my motor but I'm at it right now and I removed the valve springs and valves but I can't get the valve guides out...
I've got the valve guide remover tool from mikes and I assume you just push the guide out from the bottom, yeah?
I REALLY dont want to screw anything up or be impatient and regret it so if you guys have any tips, lay them on me!

Also while i'm at it, What should I do to clean up the carbon deposits on the inside of the head, or is it necessary?

Thanks guys!

Chef

1 - Wait until someone who will complain is out of the house
2 - turn your oven to 200
3 - put head in. Cook for 20 mins.
4 - Remove head from oven (remember to use those nice floral oven mitts!) and valve guides should slip right out with little effort.
5 - Apologize to the person who is now annoyed with you for cooking auto parts in the oven.
6 - Cross fingers.
7 - Promise you'll never do that again.

When i did some basement apartment reno's, i took the small oven from there and put it in the garage. Saves me a lot of clean up/arguments.

Also nose. You'll have the scent of motor oil throughout the house. :D

ps - whatever you do, *don't* turn the oven past 200f. Aluminum starts changing it's physical properties above that temp.

Oh good thing you said that Sundie, The clymer says between 200 and 400...

I never knew that my culinary career would take me as far as baking an engine :)

200 should be more than enough to let the aluminum expand (which it does more than the steel) to loosen it up. I've put jugs in the oven to release the inserts and had them just drop out. Which was f'in startling the first time it happened. :)

so my new valves aren't fitting all the way through my guides...should I try freezing the valves and then putting them in?

your valves dont slide in your guides? did you get the right guides? I got mine from mikes, Ive no problems. didnt have to machine them. fit right in my already(dont know if they are stock or not)there guides.

Yeah I bought the right ones. guides and valves from mikesxs

The valves go all the way in until i get the tip flush with the end of the valve guide and then they don't want to movie anymore

Ok chef, so I take it that your old guides were shot? Or did you just replace them for the sake of it?

Did you have any trouble getting the old ones out, or the new ones in?
If you over did it, you may have damaged the end. Can be reamed if not too much damage.

It's not uncommon to need to ream new guides, though I thought, from what I had heard, that Mikes were pretty much on the money!

well Once I baked the casing in the oven the old ones came out fine. And I mainly was replacing them for the sake of it...

When I put the new guides in, they went it with no trouble at all, I don't see how they could have gotten damaged, I just tapped them in with the tool until the were flush against the casing.

Do valves need to be lubricated before being put into the guides?

p.s. I didn't buy the stainless steel valves just the basic ones, but I don't see how that could make a difference

If the valve stem is too tight in the guide it may seize during operation.......not a good scenario there........if I am understanding this discussing correctly.......xsjohn

yeah i think you got the jist of it john, the guides aren't too terribly tight up until the tip of the stem reaches the edge of the guide

would I ream the guide with a soft dremel tool?

Back