Valve noise....

jmink427

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I noticed today a little valve train noise.. Never noticed it before but it is pretty damn hot today..... I filled the bike up and fired up and could hear a tinking sound.... I tried to find some info in the tech section on the valve lash for my bike but I couldn't find any. Anybody know what the valve lash is on a '75 xs650? If so is this a hot lash or cold lash? Or do these bike just have a noisy valve train?:shrug:

My old yamaha manual says .002 intake and .006 exhaust. I always set mine at .003 and .006 and that is cold. Mine makes a little more noise on a really hot day. I usually don't ride on those days if possible...feels like being in a convection oven.

It been all over 100 degrees here for the last couple of weeks and don't look like it going to bee any cooler this week.:eek: I have been riding mine to work to save on fuel cost... I only live about 6 miles from work but my truck only gets about 10 mpg.... So it save me money... I'm going to look into some type of oil cooler and run the valves this weekend...

If you are still running points, they are pretty noisy too.
I'm sure it does. i never had the cover off. That is the side that the noise sounds like it is coming from. :umm: May pull the cover tomorrow and see if it gets louder........

My '73 has the noisiest valves on the planet. I have them set to .006 and .012 on the button. I check my tolerances way more often than I need to, they're always dead on, and my bike sounds like a kid banging a pot with a spoon. Last time I had the head off and lapped the valves their seats ended up a lot wider than they should be, but I didn't cut them to save money. The engine will get a full treatment in a bout a year. Maybe that has something to do with their volume. I've learned to live with with it. I don't really care.

All those sound tight to me but I am also used to setting them on my 65 Impala Big Block 439 CID. They set at .022" - .025" Hot lash.....

@OB...most of us are settig our valves cold at .004 in-.006 ex..
Yes, some years specify differet settigs, but they are all 650,(exept a few 750, good luck finding a stock 750xs). the only differences are carb settings. the guts of the motors are all the same. stop bouncing your tappets to hell, OB. Hey, throw us a few pics of your imp!

Here are a few pics angus67..
WP_000130.jpg

DSCF1673.jpg

The day I brought it home....
12.jpg

I got more pic here.. http://s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt38/jmink427/

Oakbehringer,Look at the 650 central site , nothing even comes close to that large a setting. No wonder your valve train is loud.

http://www.650central.com/fsetting_the_valves_on_an_xs650.htm

How about this from the tech section of 650central? (see attached screenshot)

There's very inconstant info for the early models, thus this thread that I started the other day:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10936

Confused? Me too.
- Adam

p.s. no, the guts are not all the same. The early motors had a different crank, connecting rods, cam, etc.

Attachments

• screen-capture.png
    screen-capture.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 105
Nice Impala. I always liked the 65's. What's that got, like a nine body trunk?
Noticed the roll cage. Are you racing it?

Nice Impala. I always liked the 65's. What's that got, like a nine body trunk?
Noticed the roll cage. Are you racing it?

Thanks.....Not at the moment. I drive it around town and to work every now and then......It has a .060" over 427 in it right now. Runs on E85 and makes about 520 to 550 hp. Really not enough motor for 4156 lbs. I currently saving for a real engine... I will probably build a 598 or a 632 cid engine... I already got a set of Dart Pro2 heads. They say nothing smaller than a 4.5" bore should go under them... Hope for about 850 hp naturally aspirated on E85.....:D

I have an old Yamaha service manual and it also says .003 and .006 for XS1, XS1B, XS2, TX650. The newer models are suppose to be .002 and .004 but that seems a little tight to me. 3 and 6 have been working for 34yrs so that's what I use. It also says to set all valves at .012 when checking cam timing and then reset to smaller settings after cam timing check. Not sure what thats suppose to mean. If your bike is making that much racket I would lower the settings.

Back