Valve Stems and Guides - Lubrication

Paul Sutton

I Collect Fingers
Top Contributor
Reaction score
When reassembling the valves should I lubricate the stems/guides? I believe the answers is Yes based on the few threads I found. What lubricant should I use? Is engine oil (20/W50) alright to use or should I uses a fine oil like Singer sewing machine oil? I believe greases should not be used because they will leave residues that could make the valves stick.

Thank you for all comments and advice.

I just use motor oil. I do have regular assembly lube but it's almost like a light grease or very thick oil. I only use that on the cam lobes.

Thank you very much 5Twins and TooManyXS1Bs. I should get my new cam chain tomorrow and also the valve grinding paste. It's been 31 Years since I did a topend overhaul on an XS650, but seems like yesterday. Made new 3mm thick brass washers in the weekend to replace those rubber ones. I have done loads of reading so hopefully everything will go smoothly with no major surprises ....

valve grinding paste
Go easy with the valve grinding. In the factory manual you'll see that the actual contact area with the seat should be only on the order of a mm or so wide. I suppose the issue is the wider, the more likely something is to get under it, or form under it, so that there's no contact at all, I had light pitting but decided to leave them alone.

I think it's more like 1.6 to 2mm. I've lapped quite a few, some pretty bad, and never had the seats get too wide.

We're going back into the topend on a buddy's buddy's 650 this weekend. We did it about 8 or 9 years ago when the 1st guy owned it. Now the new owner says it's making a disturbing intermittent ticking, mostly right after starting. It will be interesting to see what we find. This will be the first time I get to check one of my valve lap jobs and also a MikesXS front guide. But, on old bikes like these, really, it could be anything.

Last edited:
Back