Very COOL DIY Zinc Plating video

Orion61

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I stumbled onto this while looking for different solutions for a slurry to polish Aluminum and this little video popped up into the RH side the Magical way You-Tube does.
Everybody has had rusted pieces Bolts etc, this happens to be the rear Tire/Chain adjuster all nasty and covered with rust.. Give a like if you think you may be using this in the future.... I know I will!
Thanks much for the Dude that took the time to do this!!

PLEASE add your helpful video on this same line...Perhaps an Aluminum polish/tip for my cases while on the bike...;-[)

We should have a stick Thread of Very Cool and helpful Videos to make our lives and restorations easier.. I also have a HOT Glue dent puller on the way from another Video for pulling dents out of tanks...I will shoot a video while doing mine and post it when I am done....OH yes The whole kit INCLUDING the Glue gun, dent puller and glue sticks was UNDER $9.00 SHIPPED brand new...
Orion

From the ones I have looked at they are very helpful with getting things done "DYI" saving a bunch of money. I do realize that those guys are very generous with their knowledge, their way of doing things achieve great results at little to no cost. To be frank, they remind me of you and the rest of the core guys here that quickly come to the rescue of folks in need.
I have been going over many of the older posts here and I see people who GOT a lot of help at one time, Giving advice now.
I am also a member of more than a few different forums relating to my other interests, Playing Live Music and Recording, MGB Roadsters, and my Main "fun" Hobby of Astronomy, I must say this site is probably the best Moderated, really mostly self moderated.

From the ones I have looked at they are very helpful with getting things done "DYI" saving a bunch of money. I do realize that those guys are very generous with their knowledge, their way of doing things achieve great results at little to no cost...

Yes, they are. This is one of my favorites, a DIY cylinder boring and honing video:

An important application note: When applying the adhesive piston shim material, ensure that the seamline is at the 4 O'clock position, just behind the wristpin hole. Apply it tight, work out all trapped air bubbles. Best way to work out the bubbles is to immerse the piston in a vat of hot oil, which helps to expand the bubbles and soften the piston. This can be easily done while at your favorite McDonalds, just ask them to dip your pistons in the vat along with the french fries.

Also, use only high quality piston shim material from 3M or Scotch, avoiding the sub-standard brands "Duck" and "Hu-flung-dung".

To be frank, they remind me of you and the rest of the core guys here that quickly come to the rescue of folks in need...

Thanx much, Orion.
We're going Snipe hunting next week, and you're invited to come along...

Last edited:
Yes, they are. This is one of my favorites, a DIY cylinder boring and honing video:

An important application note: When applying the adhesive piston shim material, ensure that the seamline is at the 4 O'clock position, just behind the wristpin hole. Apply it tight, work out all trapped air bubbles. Best way to work out the bubbles is to immerse the piston in a vat of hot oil, which helps to expand the bubbles and soften the piston. This can be easily done while at your favorite McDonalds, just ask them to dip your pistons in the vat along with the french fries.

Also, use only high quality piston shim material from 3M or Scotch, avoiding the sub-standard brands "Duck" and "Ho-flung-dung".

Thanks much, Orion.
We're going Snipe hunting next week, and you're invited to come along...
I think we should add all those videos into this one Thread! It would be a great all in one source for proven DIY fixes and work arounds!

Last edited:
Back