Very dull brake light

Norton7d

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So after many attempts to figure out why my brake light is so dull, i completely removed the tail light from the bike as to not blame it on wiring.
With a hot lead to yellow, it lights.
With a hot lead to blue, it lights brighter than just yellow.
With a hot lead added to yellow after blue already hot, total light not brighter.
Bulb properly in socket.
Both socket leads proclduce 12+v individually.
This indicates to me I either have a bad bulb, or what?
I always assumed the brake fillament was brighter than driving light and or the combination of the two increased visual brightness, this is not my case.
Siggestions other than a new bulb?
Im going to LED but got the wrong one so I was testing this way first and got the unfortunate results.

Thanks.

Ground was and is going from battery straight to ground post on the lamp housing, thus not allowimg bad ground wire to be the source of the issue.
No chanhe in results.
Is it possible for the bulb socket to switch its position thus reversimg the placement of the hot posts, I dont think so as it has a cutout / recessed area to not allow the rotation of the socket panel.

Last edited:
LAMP-28.png Maybe the bulb is forced in the socket backwards. There are two tits on the bulb, one not as far down as the other on the barrel. If inserted backwards it would do what you are seeing.

Last edited:
I agree, i have viewed the slots which allow the tits to properly enter the socket entrance, the tits are properly enterimg the passage...the low tit goes into the low slot, and the high works as well...thus I can only assume the bulb is weak or something lime that?
I found another bulb, it did the same.
At this point, i am wondering if the power portion of the socket rotated thus bulb goes in correctly but the power posts shifted thus giving power to the wrong fillament.

I might be reading this wrong but have you tried it the other way round with power to the yellow with the blue as the brake, it reads that you had the blue which was brighter then put power to the yellow you've already got the brightest element lit so it would get any brighter.

Back