Vibration Reduction- 750 kit or rephase

padgett

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, testing the waters here....

So I built an XS chopper a while back and I'm going to be rebuilding it again with the intention of making it better for a wuss such as myself.

I've done the usuals as far as vibe reduction (solid riser bushings, adding rubber where possible, carb balancing/tuning,sprockets) but I really want to get this bike to the point where I can do some long hauls on it.

I think the obvious answer to my question is "BOTH", but I'm not sure I have that money. So if I had to choose one solely based on just reducing vibes, what would it be? A mikes kit and a rephase are about the same price. What would be my best bet?

I'm still a few months out from buying anything, so at this point im just gathering ideas.

Thanks!

You won't get rid of the vibrations and what I suspect you want to achieve is to minimise those that annoy you?

To that end I wouldn't have though solid handlebar risers would be contusive to this.

Both your option will alter things. Assuming the pistons in the 750cc kit are a different weight from OE then it will alter the crankshaft balance factor. This in turn will affect the degree of vibrations and where they peak in the rev range.
Re-phasing will also change matters.
Which is more agreeable only you can decide and a ride of a machine that has had either of these mods would help.

Other (cheaper) options include changing the bars and/ or bar end weights, inserting Vibranators, bar snakes or filling the bars with silicon sealer or lead shot. In other words anything that alters the resonant frequency will make a difference.

You could also try different seat infill or footrest rubbers.

I did the 750 kit on my 75. I found it decreased the vibes a lot above 4000 rpms. below that they were about the same.
I haven't done a rephase but from what I understand it won't decrease the vibes but change the frequency.
I have found that proper sync of the carbs is very important. getting both cylinders to pull the same does about as much as anything.
Proper wheel balance comes a close second. This smooth's out the ride very well.
Vibes at the bars can be reduced with shorter bars, not so much in height but width. A shorter tube flexes less the a shorter tube. Bars made from tubing with thicker walls will help, bars with a larger diameter help. Anything the stiffens the bars can help. Adding something in the bars to add weight helps.
Leo

So I built an XS chopper a while back and I'm going to be rebuilding it again with the intention of making it better for a wuss such as myself.
I've done the usuals as far as vibe reduction (solid riser bushings, adding rubber where possible, carb balancing/tuning,sprockets) but I really want to get this bike to the point where I can do some long hauls on it. - - -

Hi padgett,
750 kit ups the power, re-phase reduces the vibration.
And as you say, you've already done the usual vibe reduction tricks although I don't see solid risers as working for that.
What's left for a wuss to do to add comfort to his ride for the long haul?
You're gonna hate this.
But you did ask.
Add rear suspension.

I've done the usuals as far as vibe reduction (solid riser bushings, adding rubber where possible(?), carb balancing/tuning,sprockets) but I really want to get this bike to the point where I can do some long hauls on it.

I think the obvious answer to my question is "BOTH", but I'm not sure I have that money. So if I had to choose one solely based on just (???) reducing vibes, what would it be? A mikes kit and a rephase are about the same price. What would be my best bet?

I'm still a few months out from buying anything, so at this point im just gathering ideas.

Thanks!

How did H*rley make their bikes vibe less? RUBBER isolation mounts!

Proper tuning and damping with a rubber medium will address most of your issues...I'm curious as to where you added rubber, and also to what extent; thickness, type of rubber, and torque specs for the fasteners "clamping them down".

...and like Fred said, rear suspension helps...:D

Yea....I realize i'm fighting an uphill battle here with a rigid xs650.

Admittedly there are some things I haven't tried yet, but i just got the urge to rip into the engine again.

Back