Video Thread

I think you'd get pulled over all the time with that tank....

" Dispatch, car 23.... I'm writin' up a ticket here..... what's the code for indecent liberties with a.... um..... gas tank?"

Laughing Minions.gif

:lmao: (this was for 2M's video, not the dump truck)

Last edited:
I’m not even goon post a link to what I just watched! I have a curious mind and having just had hernia surgery, I decided to watch a video of an actual procedure. :yikes: Bad idea! After they cut this guy open they started fishing around inside him and pulling all kinds of stuff up and out of that hole. When they pulled the guys FRIGGIN TESTICLE up and out of there and started cutting all kinds of stuff off, like they were casually cleaning a fish I thought I was gonna barf!

And let me tell you, they are not gentle about it either! I kept wondering why certain spots were so sore. Now I’m wondering how it is I’m walking at all! Let me tell you fellas, some things are best left to the imagination!

They do four or five every day, like it's just a job. I'd be taking a week off, then psyching myself up for a week and then another week when it was over. My cousin is a medically retired surgeon and last time she was down I mentioned how surprising some surgeon's schedule was to me, and she was like it isn't hard stuff. I forget what she's supposed to have but she's got to be scamming disability. No doubt about that.

Lakeview and I drove that road last year in Big Blue (an '08 Chevy Express van with our two XS650Cs inside) and it is truly a beautiful road, but the number and sharpness of the curves plus the virtual lack of any shoulders for a good portion of it - make it a potentially very dangerous stretch as well.

There are plenty of skilled riders with really good sport bikes on that road and the record is around 62 MPH for a one-way run. Skilled amateurs on sport bikes have been known to average 50 MPH - under ideal conditions. However, we're not all folks like that and we don't all ride bikes like they did, and conditions are usually not ideal - so don't expect to get those numbers any time you show up at the north or south end of Rte. 129.

Most people are on touring bikes or their daily rides - but you still see them taking (or trying to take) 20-30 MPH corners at 50 MPH and the results are predictable and obvious from the photos. I'm not all that fast and so I may be all wet in this assessment, but I would say that if you could average 25-30 MPH for the roughly 10-15 miles of the Dragon, you would be doing pretty well. On a larger, heavier bike with less ground clearance / lean angle geometry like an H-D, Gold Wing or ST1300.....well, judge for yourself from the photos.

Keep in mind that it is only 11-15 miles long so even at 25-30 MPH, you'll be done a one-way pass in around 30 minutes which leave you plenty of time to sit around lying to your buddies or for a change of underwear. :rolleyes:

As for road conditions, well...in our roughly 45 minute pass southwards through the Dragon in the van, Lakeview and I saw a very large black bear ambling along the middle of the road (certainly big enough to knock you off a motorcycle should you hit it) and then 5 minutes later, we came tooling around a corner and found a 12 foot long, 6" dia. tree (geeezzz!!!! :yikes:) laying mostly across the entire roadway.

We stopped and ran back to pull the tree off the road and throw it down the 200 foot ravine (holy crap!!) that was less than a foot (bloody he!!!) from the pavement and in the process, I got a really nice case of poison ivy which really got going three days later - making the drive home absolutely delightful :wtf:. So much for public service - BUT - if some poor rider or even a person driving a small car like an MG or a Miata had hit that tree, there almost certainly would have been a bad crash.

Here are a couple of good websites put out by some of the local folks that contain some wise advice:
I'm not saying I won't go back (in fact, I will go back) - but I won't be in too much of a hurry when I ride the Dragon on my bike.

Pete

Last edited:

"4. Forget about your rear brake on the pavement."
"5. Forget about your front brake on the roadside gravel."

I would strongly disagree with that.
4. On the pavement, in those twisties, use your rear brake as your main tool to avoid going wide.
5. On gravel, don't use any brakes at all. See the patch of gravel coming up and slow down and choose your line and release the brakes before you get there, hitting it straight up and down.

All the roads around here are like versions of The Dragon, so I kind of do a dragon any time I ride, I did do the real Dragon one night, when I was 16, riding in a car, smoking and drinking and and listening to Blue Oyster Cult and Alice Cooper on the 8-track :cool:

Back