VIN doesnt exist at the dmv??? HELP!!!

mabeone

XS650 Member
Reaction score
i am in some serious need of help. i am super confused about what just happened to me at the dmv. i bought a 1980 (so he says) xs 650 from a guy a while back. he didnt have ownership, assured me its all good. got his address and drivers liscence #. went into the dmv today and gave them the vin. she then tells me the bike isnt in the system. she looked into what bikes the guy has and none match. she said he has a 1981 XJ not xs. but if it was just an error in the model then why wouldnt the numbers match?

i checked the numbers again when i got home and sure enough im right. it is engraved in the streeing head, engine and is written on the sticker on the steering head. the bike is in kmph and i live in toronto, canada so it would seem that its not an american bike.

so all in all, why is it that this vin is not coming up in the computer although i have a frame and engine that clearly have this number. the number is 3u6-001792. please help!!! :doh:

Go to a Different DMV, usually works in my area. The short XS650 VIN proves to be "unusual" for the lazy employees and they don't know how to deal with it.

hmmmm so this isnt that uncommon? why would it be that one dmv does not recognize it and another would? dont they all use the same system? is there something they have to do in order to find out more info about the vin so that it comes up? anything i can tell them to help them to figure this all out?

thanks for the help.:D

Alot of the XS's have a short VIN. The DMV's system usually requires 17 Digit VIN's, and the people behind the counter have to put 0's in front on the XS VIN here to get the system to register properly. Not everyone behind the counter is the same, human's are trained to do the job efficiently and effectively, so they could care less to figure out why your VIN is only a certain amount of #'s. Insurance is the same way.

I do alot of old cars and bikes,missing papers etc,If i have a problem at dmv i go to a different dmv location,its worked for me in the past,sometimes you can actually find a dmv employee that is willing to help.
If you know any cops they might be able to trace last registered owner.
You can do a vin trace on that # for a fee online,never found a free one yet,anyone know of a place to do a free vin trace?

mmmh should show up, like the guys say probably because it's not a 17 digit the insurance co.'s haven't heard of TX650's either

Attachments

• yamaha ID's.JPG
    yamaha ID's.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 532
Wow, ok that makes sense. I guess some people just are not trained and dont know any better. i will mention that the zero's need to be there at the next dmv i go to if they cant find it on their own this time.

thank you so much guys and ill keep you posted on my results.

Gotta love Saskatchewan... Drive it to SGI with a dealer plate, get them to look at bike (and by look i mean glance), go back inside and get my papers and go to an insurance broker and plate it then it's legal. And just as easy with no previous registration, all i have to do i write a fake note with the vin on it when i go to get plates and a scribbly signature. Plating as an Antique is 8.00 a month...:laugh:

400CC and under don't even need anything. just plate it when it changes hands. We don't even have yearly emissions or safety tests to pass.:laugh:

plates for the duc are only 130.00 a month.

you can ride on a learners here forever.

CENTRAL CANADA EH!

its all already been said but yes the short VIN numbers often cause a bit of trouble for some, try another office, and if they still have trouble you may have to have a police officer come inspect it and yada yada yada....headache IMO

Back