Vin question-

warrenlevihursh

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My motor and vin dont match- no big deal. The frame and title are good. Frame and title starts with 2f0 and the title says 1978, so that makes sense, but the engine says 4n9-, which says 1981 when i looked it up. Im really confused because it is a points motor with two coils and all. Is it possible the block is an 81 and the top end is maybe original?

Posted via Mobile

- - - the engine says 4n9-, which says 1981 when i looked it up. Im really confused because it is a points motor with two coils and all. Is it possible the block is an 81 and the top end is maybe original?

Hi warren,
typically, the coils come with the frame so two coils is correct for your '78.
And yes, it's possible to exchange top ends but it ain't necessary to swap to an earlier top end to run an '80 or later model engine with factory points.
All that needs to be done is install the advancer shaft, advancer mechanism and points that they didn't install at the factory. It may also have been necessary to install the advancer shaft bushings in the camshaft; some '80+ engines still had the bushings, others didn't.

Thanks fredintoon, why would someone take an electronic ignition motor and go back to points?

Hi warren,
tradition; because that's what their daddy's Norton had?
More likely that they replaced the '78's (not running?) motor with an '81 motor and swapped in the '78's points gear to match the bike's existing electrics when they found the '81's iggy didn't work with it.
The only important question, does it run "as is"?

Yea that makes the most sense. The title reads 120,000 miles so im glad it isnt the original motor obviously. Im just trying to figure it out. I am waiting on the brass bushings and am going to try to get it running with the points first. I have a pamco for it, but not the new coil yet... Hopefuly it runs like the PO said lol

Posted via Mobile

Back