Vintage Bobber Build Thread

Have been busy working on the bobber build since the last post. The seat foam has been shaped and made a patchwork leather seat cover for it.
IMG_20181103_232110.jpg IMG_20181103_232244_1.jpg IMG_20181104_180024.jpg IMG_20181104_180123.jpg

Hi Fred,
lol, the Aussie registration rules wouldn't let me have a bike with no mudguards/fenders even if I wanted to, so it's definitely getting guards.

Part of the vintage styling I'm aiming towards also includes having fairly full guards and I have some universal fenders that I'll be modifying to fit. The rear has trimmed to length but the front hasn't yet.

IMG_20181223_094855.jpg

Hi Fred,
lol, the Aussie registration rules wouldn't let me have a bike with no mudguards/fenders even if I wanted to, so it's definitely getting guards.
Part of the vintage styling I'm aiming towards also includes having fairly full guards and I have some universal fenders that I'll be modifying to fit. The rear has trimmed to length but the front hasn't yet.
View attachment 132421

Hi phil,
thing is, the XS650 front fork really needs a fork brace to help it work nice.
The stock front mudguard's massive centre-section did that job OK so make sure that whatever you put there instead does it too.

Thanks Hotdog.

Scott,
I've made a start on the mudguards. I started with universal guards meant to suit 19" wheels but found that to match the curve of the tyres meant the guards had to sit several inches off the tyres. I hate it when guards don't match the curve of the tyre and wanted them to sit less than an inch off the tyre, so I have to change the radius of the guards.

To start I cut off the folded edges of the guards, and then used a metal shrinker to pinch the edges of the guards which reduces the radius of the guard. Unfortunately the shrinker marks the metal and introduces little kinks, so these have to be hammered and dollied out and then file finished. Very time consuming! It would be better if I had an English wheel, but I don't. Fortunately I do have lots of time.
Radius is just wrong.
IMG_20190110_193735.jpg
Cut off the rolled edges.
IMG_20190110_193712.jpg
Metal shrinking tool.
IMG_20190110_193831.jpg
Working out the kinks.
IMG_20190110_201837.jpg
Trial fit.
15471247662615292219536485886685.jpg

Front guard mount (including fork brace) now almost done. Tried to take some styling cues from the xs1 with the rear stay.

Hopefully I can get some time tomorrow to do some more work on the rear guard and mounts.
Once the guard and exhaust mounts are done, I can blast the frame and paint it. Awaiting some parts from Heidon to allow the engine rebuild to begin. Given this bike and engine started as a bunch of loose bits, it's come a long way but still lots to do!
IMG_20190112_200517.jpg

- - - It would be better if I had an English wheel, but I don't. Fortunately I do have lots of time.- - -

Hi phil,
a "budget" English Wheel is reasonably affordable.
From what I remember of my 3 month apprentice time in the sheetmetal shop
you will need the lots of time to learn how to drive the bastard.
It ain't as easy as it looks.

I have been working on the frame recently finishing all the new tabs for rear indicators, exhaust, regulator, coils etc. Then a bit of clean up of all the nicks, bumps and grinding marks from old brackets before sand blasting the frame in the back yard. Hot, messy job! Swingarm has had 2 coats and is looking good. Frame should get painted this week.
IMG_20190307_193711.jpg FB_IMG_1552261845891.jpg

Thanks Tim,

Here's the frame after the first top coat. The frame was sand blasted, treated with phospheric acid, etch primed and then will have several top coats. I'm using a satin black.
Getting a bit excited now to have a finished rolling chassis and start bolting bits on.
IMG_20190312_185853.jpg

Back