Voltage at Battery

IMG_20200908_151840108_HDR.jpg IMG_20200908_151759534_HDR.jpg this is what I have. My voltage regulator is in my box of old parts I got when I bought the bike 6 years ago. My xs charge system must rgulate the voltage through my rectifier. So what is the part/ picture I posted?

That is the old mechanical regulator. Is it hooked up? You say you have an XS Charge system on the bike. Is it the complete PMA replacement system or just a replacement stock type stator? If it's a PMA replacement system then that old regulator shouldn't even be on the bike anymore. A PMA uses a different kind and that old stock one wouldn't work with it.

My xs charge system is made up of a new stator and rectifier. The part you say is the voltage regulator is hardwired into the wire harness, has been for at least 6 years. Could this be part of my problem? Should I remove the old regulator and tape off the old wires? Anything else you think I should be concerned with?

Where did the xs charge system come from? Is it pma, the one I see for sale is a pma and comes w a reg, rec,.. I'm not familiar with xs charge systems.

Last edited:
My xs charge system is made up of a new stator and rectifier. The part you say is the voltage regulator is hardwired into the wire harness, has been for at least 6 years. Could this be part of my problem? Should I remove the old regulator and tape off the old wires? Anything else you think I should be concerned with?
Let's see a pic of the new "rectifier", we need to use correct terms to get to the bottom of this.

IMG_20200909_103653450.jpg This is my rectifier. It my package of "stuff" I got with the bike 6 years ago were installation instructions for the: XS charge system by Ascension Cycle Works. The rectifier is installed at the recommended location, on the lower frame behind the engine and in front of the lower rear fender.

Pretty darn sure that's not a rectifier it's a voltage regulator. The chincom regs are notoriously failure prone. you will have to get serious about sorting out the wiring to see if it's done right, then test the reg and replace with a a QUALITY unit when you find this one is toast. LOL

My stator and a couple of pics from the instruction sheets

Attachments

• IMG_20200909_111334557.jpg
    IMG_20200909_111334557.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20200909_111441756.jpg
    IMG_20200909_111441756.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20200909_111420571_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200909_111420571_HDR.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 109
Yes, that's a PMA system. You can probably remove your old mechanical regulator. It's not hooked up to anything any more so isn't doing anything.

Yes, to be safe, just tape them all off. There should be three wires, a brown, a green, and a black. The brown is switched power so definitely needs to be taped off. The black is just a ground wire so probably doesn't matter. The green was regulator output to the outer brush but since you don't have brushes anymore, I'm not sure where it goes now. Probably best you tape it off too.

Ok, I'll let you know how it goes, wish me luck! I have the carbs off, so it maybe a few days before I get back to you all. Thanks for all the help!!

Hello 5Twins, I have been doing a little more research on the "voltage regulator" that we've been discussing. What I have found is that this is not the voltage regulator but it is the safety relay that will not allow you to use the the electric starter when the bike is running. Does that make sense to you?

I'm sorry, now that I look at it closer, you're right. That is the starter protection relay so you'll want to leave it in place. It's very similar looking to the old mechanical voltage regulator but I should have noticed the pic is of the right side of the bike. The regulator would have been mounted on the left side. The regulator would also have a green colored bar running down the side next to the cover .....

x88WFGp.jpg

I don't know how I missed that, lol. Again, I'm sorry about that.

Back