Voltage Regulator?

So in can safely remove this relay without problems? What happens to the wires attached to the relay? Do I just follow and completely remove those wires for the relay? I wanna strip my bike down as much as possible so thanks xsleo

With kick only there is no need for a safety relay. It was used to protect the starter system.
Leo

Very few use a field excited alternator, that's what Yamaha used on a few bikes. Most run a PMA or permanent magnet alternator.
Leo

On the 80 it uses the TCI. This ignition uses a magnet in the rotor. As the rotor turns this magnet passes the TCI pick ups. This passing creates a small voltage in the pick ups, this voltage is used as a signal to the TCI box telling TCI the engine position.
It uses this info to tell when to fire the plugs.
Often this magnet gets weak. Thus the poor running with the reg/.rec plugged in, runs well unplugged. With the reg/rec plugged in the rotor gets current through it, this current magnetizes the rotor. This magnetic field covers up the weak magnet so the pick ups don't send a good signal.
Good thing it's easy and cheap to fix. Herrington Ks, the Ks is Kansas right? If so Radio Shack sells a rare earth magnet. A 4 mm/3/16 inch size. I don't have the part number handy or I would give it to you. A two pack is like $3. Just epoxy one of these new magnets right on the magnet in the rotor. I like JB Weld.
This new magnet is much stronger than the old one and can easily trigger the pick ups.
Just glue it on, no clearance issues.
Leo[/QUOTEwas having exact same issues,glad I found this thread,it been a real pain,just welded magnet from radio shack on ,will install tomorrow tomorrow and see how it works ,will keep you updated!thanx for the info!

- you have an xs2 no?
- if so i too think that should be the safety relay...is it cabled so earth, brown, blue-white, yellow?
- i will measure the thread in the fork stanchion when it stops raining
- heiden engineering in holland sells replacement 34mm tubes for these #27-2002 27-2002-xs2 fork tube set

Does Heiden make replacement tubes for the xs1b? I've been looking for a replacement for forever and can't find them anywhere.

It would even better if someone made lowers for the xs1b. Mine are dinged upand a bit crusty. My only recourse is evaporust, and argent paint.

Back