Voodoo Vintage Mk 4 DNA springer/gas tank complication

senatorshep

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I just got my voodoo vintage home after a trip to Austin that included drinking on a party barge. I set to mocking up my xs on the mk 4. The problem is with the DNA springer and the rake of the frame, it dose not leave enough room for most standard gas tanks to fit. I love the frame and the rake how ever after some measurements on the back bone it looks like I can fit a gas tank that is around 13-14 inches long depending on the height before it interfears with steering. The frame has room from the top of the engine to the top of the back bone of about 4 1/4 inches, how ever if i use a gas tank that rises over 3 inches over the back bone it will run into the fork. My thoughts are to have an under-slung tank made, but I thought I would ask for options and ideas here as well. I'm in no way opposed to under-slug tanks, and I think it would look fantastic, just don't want to drop a ridiculous amount of money on a gas tank. I have even looked into moped gas tanks, lol. Running 21X2.15 front and back for interested parties. Sigh yet another road block with this build, but mostly short shortsightedness on my part. :banghead:

so some pic are in order, and please fire away with any ideas or criticism, or suggest and fabricators.

2012-05-30044824.jpg

2012-05-30044627.jpg

2012-05-30044644.jpg

2012-05-28204940.jpg

I had some tank clearance issues when I was putting together a drag bar/ sporty tank setup.

Long story short, I changed my bars.

I would assume the frame has steering stops on there already, but if not, you could fab them up to prevent the bars from hitting. I bet you'd compromise your turning radius though and make getting around in tight spots a real pain in the ass.

You may be able to get some taller risers.

I have tried raising the risers with washers just to see if that helped, that is the nifty stack of washers under my risers lol. I'll have to look and see if I have and taller risers lying around. As of right now I'm playing around with Styrofoam and making a little mock up gas tank.

I'm going to keep watching this build. I've been seriously thinking about getting a voodoo frame but am worried I don't have the fabrication skills (and tools) to put the bike together. Finding a tank that would complement this frame is the main reason I haven't bought one. The turbo bike has a one off custom tank that was fabricated out of 2 alien tanks

Sorry, I have been in the middle of moving. 9 tried some angled risers with no luck. Looks like I'm going to go with a fabricated 2 piece gas tank. There was a craigslist add for a new metric cycle shop here in the Dallas area, that listed gas tank fab as a specialty. After many calls I got a hold to the shop. I asked if they could do an under slung tank. The answer was " no we wont do anything like that, we can make you a peanut thank though." So I have shopped around local welders and fabricators and have narrowed my search down to a few. One guy says it will be no problem at all, and if I want to come buy his shop he can give me some welding lessons while fabbing up the tank; so I don't run into this again. I like that guy, I think I'm going to go with him. Now I just have to get rid of my TC Bros frame that is sitting in my guest room, the humidity is rusting it up pretty bad. ill post up some pics of my Styrofoam mocked up tank when I dig my camera out.

here it is whit the rear wheel mounted.
wheelsmounted.jpg

Here is the mock up that David did in his shop whit closer to stock parts. with a stander set up, i don't believe you will run into the same problems.
stockmockup.jpg

What if you mounted the gas tank down low between the engine and the rear wheel and used a small electric fuel pump and left the backbone totally exposed? You could use what looked like a big oil tank.

That would work, however not really the look I'm going for. If the gas tank costs too much to fab, I do see myself going that direction though lol. I think the bike looks good with an exposed back bone even, but I have gotten attached to the image in my head; much to my bank accounts dismay. Unfortunately I have invested 2600 in my ideas, as opposed to the 800 I originally intended for this build to cost, but then I had to get fancy, oh well it gives me something constructive to do in between home work assignments.

the cost of parts add up fast but keep at it, as for your gas tank issue u can get about the same look from a mustang tank or sport bob tank mounted upside down (tunnel up) or low mounted FLh 3.5 split tanks you'll see the back bone and is a cheaper mod. then use'n 2 new alien tanks. Plus u can get one at a swapmeet for 50-100 bucks if they have one around you

I have run into a similar problem with my springer and tank. The strm of the forks is inline with the rear legs and being only 4.5" wide they hit the tank and give me turning abilty.

My solution is to skinny down my coffin tank so I can have my turning radius back.
13dd0759.jpg

ef8d7eec.jpg

Posted via Mobile

senatorshep,
70's yz aluminum. really narrow and sit low on the frame.
or, "dimple" a tank you like so the forks dive into it. would be easier and cheaper that having a whole tank fabbed.

Last edited:
Back