VTR 1000 Mufflers Option

denisducati750

650 Custom Chop
Reaction score
B2316E96-AA91-437A-875D-7B70A061FE60.jpeg
Guys this is a bit random but looking for thoughts. I’ve bought one of those exhaust packs with various shapes to build an exhaust system for the XS shown. While I’d love nothing more than slightly baffled straight cuts it’s not an option if I want it on the road where I live. So, here’s the random bit: I reckon the Honda VTR 1000 had one of the best exhaust notes going around in its day. If I’m stuck with running mufflers (I want an exhaust each side) then do you think the XS would benefit from running a couple of cheap VTR mufflers I can get upswept on the end of the fabricated header pipes? A bit of a ‘boom’ is what I’m thinking they might add. Has anyone tried these as an option? Exhaust gurus who understand flow etc much better than me might knock the idea on the head? Any thoughts welcome. D

You can run any exhaust you want, including expansion chambers with stingers.

How it sounds is one thing.

How *well* it runs is something else...

First I am not a guru of any kind. Having stated my non existing credentials, your XS is never going to sound like a VTR 1000 and I agree they do sound nice.
For a standard firing XS the closest exhaust sound I think would be a old (Meriden) Triumph. Different mufflers will alter the volume.
I like the sound of an XS with Norton peashooter (reproduction) mufflers and find cocktail shakers too loud.
Making your own exhaust is rewarding but it can be time consuming cutting the flanges out, these days I get them water jet cut.
Have a look on AliExpress for mufflers there all sorts for sale.
There is a lot of info on exhausts on this site sizes lengths etc.

If you think it'll fit in with the style of the bike then go for it.

The only related exhaust I ever tried was one from a 2001 Yamaha R1. The sound was good but I hated the look - it totally clashed with the rest of my bike.

Is that a fiero kit car in the background?

Cool looking build. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.
Thanks for the feedback fellas! I’ve decided to give the VTR mufflers a go as long as the deal doesn’t fall through with the seller. I know it won’t sound like a VTR but hope to give the XS a bit of a deeper note. I get what you mean about some mufflers not looking right for an XS but because mine is a custom I’m hoping we can make them look good too. That’s a Purvis Eureka Aussie kit car in the background - just running original VW gear. It’s roughly a ‘74 and so is the XS so they’re a good fit for the family! Regards, D

Back