Want to use a 16" Harley wheel...

JAGUARGOD

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys , did a search and didnt find much info....Want to use a Harley 16" wheel that I have on my Brat style build...Has anyone done this ? and what did you use for brakes and axles and such? Hoping to learn from others and their experiences...Dont have any pics yet since all I have is a stock 82 XS...ugly and dirty. Hoping to hear ...Kev.

Perhaps lacing the rim onto a Yam hub would be a way to go..Harley hubs are wider than the Yam. The two Harley wheels I measured just now are close to 7" wide...sprockets and disc would be a problem I think...

I appreciate that mouser.....thought I had seen it done...and had it in my mind it was easier...guess not....will get out some measuring instruments and have a better looksee.
You are probably right ...it may be easier to go the route you suggest.Thanks again ...Kev.

I put a 16" HD wheel on my 72xs. The wheel was from 1982ish HD. It fits fine but I had a lot of sourcing to do. I ordered an HD disc and had a take-off brake to put on, Had to have a custom 7/8" axle made, filed the axle plates on my TC bros hard tail to fit and changed the bearings in the wheel to match. Made custom wheel spacers and ordered a sprocket from "Rebel Gears" since HD doesn't make one that size.

Hey Scary...thanks for that info....I can get the sprocket...was worried about the axle and caliper alignment with the rotor. When I get the rear end apart , I will measure more accurately and test fit . I will take pics as I go and post....I'm thinkin this can be done. I'm goin for it...thanks again.

Perhaps lacing the rim onto a Yam hub would be a way to go..Harley hubs are wider than the Yam. The two Harley wheels I measured just now are close to 7" wide...sprockets and disc would be a problem I think...

most harley rims are 40 spoke, and most xs hubs are 36 spoke.
Why not use a 16" yamaha spoked wheel? pretty much the same wheel as far as looks go.

james , that is an option I didnt know about.....will scout the net for a 16" yamaha wheel...weigh the possibilities.....I need spokes anyway....mine are crusty....I have built a few bikes but never mixed with Yamaha before.....Thanks for the suggestion....Kev.

Back