Warning: had 2 defective MikesXS advance rods.

SOMMS

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Amigos,

Quick public service announcement and a request. Did the Hugh's Handbuilt PMA swap with the Pamco e-advancer. All went well. My bike is an 82 and didn't have the timing advance rod so I ordered one (part #14-0650) from MikesXS.

Got about 50 miles on the bike then the rod broke off at the threads. Thinking this was a fluke, I ordered another one - this time the rod broke (at the threads again) while installing! I've attached a pic of the two faulty advance rods. I'm not sure where MikeXS is getting their parts but unless they've changed suppliers I would stay away from this part # at Mikes.

Now the question:what do I do now? I don't want to order this part again from MikesXS...but what is the alternative? Could I just use a rod from a bike that had mechanical points?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SOMMS

Attachments

• IMG_1978.jpg
    IMG_1978.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1982.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 338
Hi SOMMS,
if you can't find a used part, those busted ones can be salvaged if you have a "Bro with lathe".
Part the busted thread end off flush and drill and tap the end to screw in a suitable length of threaded rod. Fix the salvage stud in place with red Loctite.

This may be a slilly question but did you put the bushings in the cam? the 82 needs to have bushing put in the cam for the rod to ride on, there is no load on
that part with the e advance spacer installed,I'd recheck how it's installed,

This may be a slilly question but did you put the bushings in the cam? the 82 needs to have bushing put in the cam for the rod to ride on, there is no load on
that part with the e advance spacer installed,I'd recheck how it's installed,

Not a silly question at all. I sure did. I basically follow PamcoPetes installation instructions to the letter.

The parts list and instructions are found here....http://www.yamahaxs650.com/

SOMMS

How much torque are you using to tighten? it's a small diameter thread with a hollow center, not much meat there...

Gary,

My target was between 6-7 ft/lbs. Nothing too crazy. FYI-this thing actually broke when I was LOOSENING it. That's right I was backing it off and the whole nut/thread came off in the socket! I don't really know what to tell you - other than stay with the stock stuff amigo!

C

Well just guessing, wondering were the threads well formed? Could you run the nut on and off freely? If not and someone else with a mikes rod problem shows up here looking for answers.... If the nut doesn't run freely, STOP and use a die clean up the threads. Due to limited room before you would touch the shoulder, after using the die the "correct" way you should be able to run it on backwards to finish chasing all the threads as well, or clean up the threads with your handy dandy thread file tool.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33883

When torqueing the nuts did you use a big ft/lb. wrench or a smaller in/lb. wrench? If using the big ft/lb. wrench it's not very accurate at the extremes of it's range. You might have had it set to 5 ft/lbs. but it might actually be 20 ft/lbs.
Leo

Gary,

My target was between 6-7 ft/lbs. Nothing too crazy. FYI-this thing actually broke when I was LOOSENING it. That's right I was backing it off and the whole nut/thread came off in the socket! I don't really know what to tell you - other than stay with the stock stuff amigo!

C

what loctite did you use? the red is a no/no on small stuff and a lot of the blue is bad just a little gos a long way.sorry your haveing problems.

Quick and dirty look at your photos is appears there isn't a thread relief? Also looks as though the lead screw was "sloppy" on the machine it was produced or the tooling was dull when it was machined?

Looks like a "over the pond" job.

Dirty Dog,

No loctite! I was just mocking it up when this happened. Things are looking good now though. I am Carbon said he had an extra that he was going to send me. 1000 thanks amigo! Gotta love the XS650 brotherhood!

SOMMS

Gary,

The threads were fine, I test fitted (both) nuts before install. I contacted Mikes and let them know - they were very suprised it happened. I think from now on I'm going to try to use NOS parts when I can!

SOMMS

Back