was just given a free bike.

bergoff

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was doing a service call for a nice old guy today. And we started talking about motorcycles and he said he had one for sale. I asked what he was and he said a 1982 Yamaha Vision. I said I've never heard of it which I never actually have and could I look at it. It has sat outside under a tarp for at least 3 years but wasn't to bad. It hasn't been on the road in 12 years so it needs some serious attention. He then said the price is right and firm at free take it home. So it looks like I have a nice winter project ahead of me. I'm working 12hr days and he said to come get it Thursday I'll post some pictures then.

Hello everyone , i am new here, i am getting a 1980 650 special next weekend it has 8000 miles on it ,my question is did all 1980 specials have shaft drive ? this one does not but he says it is a special i have no reaSON TO NOT BELIEVE HIM BUT I WANT TO MAKE SURE ! THANKS

It was in good shape. No rips in the seat and minor road rash on the fairing front turn signals were a broken but who cares. I couldn't get a good look at the right side or the rear and on e again didn't really care since its free. I'm hoping it rolls decent and will be taking the air compressor with the tires are flat.

sorry for the hijack didnt mean anything by it i read somewhere that they did , thanks for the answers though, i am still trying to figure out how to start a new thread ! I still dont know how to SORRY !

My friend had a Vision back in the day and it was a great bike! Just as fast as my 650 Seca. They are known for stator troubles, so make sure yours is okay before you put any $ in it. Pull off the left cover and check, his would actually melt and smell really bad. They also made one with a full fairing and lower bars and dual discs on the front.
:thumbsup:

Yeah Mick that's what I've read. I'm hoping it wont take much. It has a full fairing single disk and bars look standard height. Should make a good touring bike.

My friend had an '82 setup the same way. Is it grey or red? Those were the factory colors, I believe. He flogged that bike mercilessly for 60k, and never had trouble except those $tator$.
"No such thing as a free bike" is VERY true!
P.S. If you have the full fairing, you probably have the lower bars.
Mick

I've been given a few bikes but they never came with a title and keys. But the crappy part of mayday was the trans went out if my truck tonight. And I was going to buy a pistol tomorrow. At least I don't drive it much.

I've thought about it. It a typical 98 dodge ram 1500 that's suffers transmission issues. It was shifting weird. Changes the fluid and the selinoids and it was all good till last night when it over heated and stopped shifting. So its time for a rebuild.

Well here it is. Overall its not to bad. The tank isn't to rusty on the inside and it seems like there shouldn't be to much to get it running. He was the original owner and still had the tool kit and the owners manual along with a Haynes repair manual. There are dents on each side of the tank from falling over and some road rash on the right exhaust. He also said he replaced the stator at 20k.
2012-10-05_08-34-39_839.jpg

2012-10-05_08-34-29_85.jpg

Back