Watch this guy make a Ural m/c with a 3D pen.

Horry Sheet! I'd lose my tiny little mind before I got half the motor done! Fascinating process tho.

I'm assuming those were some sort of hot-blade knives he was using to carve the fins and such. Might have to look into them, be a neat addition to my modeling tool box.

I'm assuming those were some sort of hot-blade knives he was using to carve the fins and such. Might have to look into them, be a neat addition to my modeling tool box.
This is kinda crude... but it makes the point (pun intended) on a diy hot blade.

Found one. I'm gonna guess it's been a week or two since I used it. :unsure:

iron.jpg

So, I dubbed around and whipped up a blade holder for my pencil iron.

The results are promising, but I think a hotter iron would be in order. My 40 watt iron wasn't all that much of an improvement over a cold blade.

By the time I buy a 100-ish watt iron, a piece of brass or bronze rod stock to make the holder out of, some 4-40 screws, a 4-40 tap and piss around for a couple of hours building it, the <$20 units on Amazon look pretty good...

This is incredible. For all you that have built models when you were young and some now, enjoy this guy's fantastic abilities. It's 34 min. long, but worth every minute.

[3D pen] 오토바이 만들기. Making a motorcycle. - YouTube
Yes, it was great! I watched the whole thing, Then I showed my wife. Thank you.I went to the NY World's Fair with my folks in 1964. At an exhibit on the Orient, there was a sculpture about 3 ft wide and 2 ft high made of one piece of solid alabaster. It was a Tibetan monastery. The detail was incredible. There were monks praying outside under trees filled with birds on a mountainside with snow and waterfalls and bridges. The placard said it took the sculpter 30 years to complete.

Last edited:
Here's my oldschool Ungar hot knife.

View attachment 162128

Uses a screw-on collet/clamp to hold whatever, similar to an Xacto knife. Modern scalpel at bottom, uses blade slider clip. Could be easier to retrofit...
I have one of those screw in adapters I was going to use for something a few months back but could not find the handle it goes in. Seem to recall it being part of a wood burning kit. One where you would use the heat to make decorative patterns on wood objects.

Back