Way Past Due Build

espi118

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
After months of obsessing over bobbers on the internet, I purchased a 1980 XS650 SG in February 2011. I have been working off and on over the past 4 years to build my own bobber with my own hands. As everyone knows, working, family, and home ownership really cut into time for the build. I have ridden bikes my whole life, but this will be my first build.

Getting this bike done is way past due. By finally starting a build thread, I hope it will give me the little bit of motivation I need to get this thing finished. Ill do a quick overview of my progress so far.

The way she sat the day I picked her up.

SvnEHuC.jpg

I brought it home, tore it down, and chopped off the rear end.

4ARabO8.jpg

I live less than an hour away from TC Bros headquarters, so I shipped them the chopped frame for cheap and then picked up the fully welded frame 2 weeks later. I had planned to have the bike finished in a couple of months, so I had it totally sandblasted about a month after it was hardtailed

I am going for the "over used", TC Bros hardtail, sportser tank bobber. I dont care, love the look and cant wait to finally ride this thing!

KTM2KVT.jpg

I got a set of wheels off a CB360 for cheap. Powdercoat the rims and hubs, left the spokes chrome. Using the all common, classic Firestone tires.

jIbrhGe.jpg

Painted the motor black. Polished the side covers and shaved the paint off the fins of the head.

7bSEwx3.jpg

dzusOoF.jpg

AOg4qsL.jpg

aKi2gFM.jpg

Once I got to this point, life took over. We moved to a new house in October 2013 and then had a little girl April 2014. As you can imagine, my plate has been a little full, so the bike went on the back burner.

This is how the bike sits today.

2irvTmD.jpg

TO DO:

Frame
- Weld seat hindge and seat spring mounts
- Weld rear fender mount
- Weld rear light/license plate mount
- Weld rear brake stay
- Weld rear brake mount
- Fab gas tank mounts
- Fab electronics box mount
- Powder coat
- Mount headlight
- Mount rear fender

Engine
- Assemble head
- Finish shaving fins
- Assemble engine
- Rebuild carbs

Wheels
- Powder front rim and hub
- Mount tires

Electrical
- Rebuild loom from scratch
- Install Pamco and Hugh's PMA
- Mount electrical box that will house fuses
- Mount capacitor
- Mount brake light

Gas Tank
- Clean inside
- Paint

Misc
- Mount toggles and switches for lights and ignition

My plan is to have the bike done for the Chopoff in August. I will have lots of questions and need clarification at times, so I appreciate everyone's help in advance. Here we go!!!

Last edited:
Appreciate the support!

Yes, the To-Do lists can get very long. I added the rear brake stuff. I'm sure I'll be adding much more before it all done and over with.

I hope to get a few parts welded on the frame this weekend.

Update:

I was able to get the seat mount welded along with the rear brake control mount.

PrdQIZI.jpg

NsLBBAe.jpg

With that progress also comes with a little back pedal. So I messed up and didn't put the piece in the mount that holds the brake lever before it was welded, now I can't get it in because the motor mount it in the way. See below

FxL66QB.jpg

Any suggestions?

cut the mount off and do it again. Did you have the back wheel mounted when you put that there? I had to mount the base like you did, but the tube the arm goes in had to be more to the right so the brake rod would line up.

Cut off my mistake and cleaned up the frame. I think that should be good enough to get it welded back on. I have to mention that I am having someone else do my welding. That is one of the few things that I have not had the time, money, or machine to learn myself. I have a guy just down the road that will do it for me cheap. He does a nice job. I hope to one day learn to weld.

ju3ipfX.jpg

I also got my torsion springs in from TC Bros, thanks guys! Since I was in the cutting mode, I went ahead and cut the tack welds on the cross member of the rear. Moved it down a few inches to line everything up with the seat and torsion springs.

q9gm61Q.jpg

BcqCP3x.jpg

I am going to focus on getting my rear wheel all squared away next. Angus is correct, I need to have the rear brake on so I can get the arm and brake stay lined up properly. Also need the tire on so I can figure out the distance needed for mounting the rear fender.

The rear wheel has been a rear treat. More like a giant pain in the ass!! I got it laced, but getting the thing true is driving me nuts! I have at least 2 hours in loosening and tightening, and loosening and tightening. Also making numerous gouges in the powder while doing it. I think I might have to break down and have someone who knows what their doing true the thing for me. Have a tube on the way. And the journey continues.

When you are welding in the lower cross member (the one that comes tacked from T.C) Put something between the axles at the proper spacing. I think it is 8 1/2 inches.(piece of pipe etc.) to keep the axles from shrinking inward when welded.

here's how i did mine. i'm using the monstercraftsman foot peg mounts.

i cut the bar down so it sit lower. also moved it up a little forward than where you had yours mounted and offset the tube that holds the lever.

7FE9CF3E-79BE-4779-962E-47C8D368D86E_zpsrwax9weg.jpg

lever slides in easily. also used a coupling nut, bolt and nut for adjustment. drilled and tapped a hole for a bolt to hold the other end of the spring. also drilled a hole in the lever for the spring.

B4988EE0-EDB8-44E4-93E9-8EC0D7240D18_zpsqoowf3mj.jpg

you're gonna find that the stock brake actuator rod is too short. i bought a piece of steel rod, cut to fit, then threaded the end. on the other end i retained the stock clevis.

3DEC91C8-432A-4F8F-B8AF-6D7C54336CD9_zpscracuz9o.jpg

Dropped my rear wheel off to the shop to get trued on Tuesday. Hopefully have it back in the next couple days.

ynAaKOJ.jpg

3+ hours of cleaning and bagging all of the nuts, bolts, and misc parts that have been sitting for years.

Need some opinions: How do I mount my tank?

I like the way it sits here

ZJQuZiS.jpg

As it sits, I am not sure how to mount the rear part of the tank.

There is a piece of the top motor mount that is right in the way of the tank mounting holes.

SlqOQew.jpg

NhFG0uO.jpg

Do you think I could just notch that piece out of the mount and stick a long bolt through?

Thoughts?

Back