We were bikers...my buddies and me.

hamamatsu

Retired loafer
Reaction score
We were bikers back in the day, the 1950's is when we started....my buddies and me. We rode Triumphs, BSA, Nortons, Harleys and Indians and we argued who had the best and fastest motorcycle. We imitated James Dean with our white tee shirts with rolled up sleeves, and we wore black jackets that made our mothers worry... my buddies and me. We rode hard, we drank beer and we worked on our own bikes, we were independent and free. We were straight and tall, we held our heads high...my buddies and me.

As we became men, some of us married, most of us went to work, some went to college, and sadly some of us went off to war...my buddies and me. We raised our children and supported our wives while younger men rode their motorcycles in our stead. We were gallant and trusted men...my buddies and me. We never wavered, we never quit, we always did what we had to do, we did what men do...my buddies and me.

As we aged and our children had children, we once again turned to motorcycles to fill the void that was in us all these years. We rode with dim eyes, gray hair and sore knees, but we rode together again straight and tall...my buddies and me. We rode Harleys, and we rode Indians, Victorys and metric bikes and we argued who had the best motorcycle just as before...my buddies and me.

Now I am in the winter of my years and I sit and wonder what happened to my buddies and their motorcycles...because you see, my buddies are gone, and now it's just me.

Written by Hamamatsu

hamamatsu...

This is as beautifully written as it is genuinely felt. It speaks to me not only as a fellow motorcyclist, but as a man who has very few, carefully selected, friends and loved ones. Quality friendship is rare, so it's good to see it toasted occasionally with the sweet wine and cup that are one's memory.

Thanks for this, hamamatsu.

TC

Hama:

A person passes twice in life, once in the physical and once when their name is spoken for the last time.

Sounds like you will never forget your buddies... then they are always with you.

Thanks for sharing your life with us.

That struck home, the end times are closer now than the early days. Thanks for writing it. I still have those buddies from the early days. I keep an extra bike, jacket, and gear handy for when those buds show up from points far away.

Yeah , that strikes home for me...miss my friends of my youth. Most of all I miss my children being children....even tho I have my daughters children to be with. I also miss my son , who passed at an early age. That passage gives me almost too much to think about...Kev,

Thank you for writing and shareing this wonderfull piece. I started rideing in '79 or so. I can't believe that was 33 yrs ago. So many rides and places. Friends that I used to ride with. I miss them. Seems it was just a couple years ago, not 3 decades. Time flies too fast. Enjoy your time now.

Last edited:
very well writen and very moving.
I have the same buddies
only ther names and faces change
and out of all the bikes that we have
thats right MINES the best.:wink2:
thanks for posting ,Ed

Q Tip, I have seen that before, it's a good video. I love how the old guys patch up their bikes and themselves on the ride to the ocean. Something I can identify with.
:D

Back