Weak Midrange RPMs. Loss of "Pull".....goes flat...

Well shit. The only soda they have is a 50 pound bag. I really dont need that much material. The $20 gun is cool and handy and all, but I cant see spending $65 and having 49.5 pounds of material left over.

Gonna email my sand blaster guy and see if he does soda. Id prefer to do it my self....want it done right, do it yourself...... Dont want to get it back with an im sorry.

Plus, Orileys renigged on their offer. Told me to wait on the tool from Advance which means I cant do my cylinders and reassebly until middle of next week.

Unacceptable.

Damn it.

Back to the drawing board.

Bought one of these though...

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-knotted-wire-wheel-91279.html

Last edited:
You can just buy a pound or two box at the supermarket. Yes, there's special blasting soda but you can just use the normal stuff.

If you figure this to be a one time thing, it's probably cheaper just to have a shop hone your cylinders. It only takes about 30 seconds so it's cheap, probably like $10. I had one done years ago before I had my own hones and it was only $5.

You can just buy a pound or two box at the supermarket. Yes, there's special blasting soda but you can just use the normal stuff.

If you figure this to be a one time thing, it's probably cheaper just to have a shop hone your cylinders. It only takes about 30 seconds so it's cheap, probably like $10. I had one done years ago before I had my own hones and it was only $5.

Interesting idea. Now I have to go back to Harbor freight and buy the blaster. Just left there. Will this shoot store bought soda ok do you think.... If not.....walnut maybe???

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-hopper-gravity-feed-spot-blaster-gun-95793.html

I will call the shop and see what just a hone/deglaze would set me back. Bet they can get that done the same day. Maybe tomorrow.

That's the exact same HF gun I use for my soda blasting. Since I do more of it than you plan to, I do buy the 50 LB. bags but I get the agricultural stuff from the farm and feed store, about $15 a bag. That gun will shoot anything, that's what's so cool about it. It will do just fine with the supermarket soda. You can see my gun at the lower left here .....

WaterFilter3.jpg

$30 for both cylinders honed. I save 2 bucks. Said lots of times they can do em same day, no longer than 2 though. So if I get em in tomorrow morning I should have em by after work or worst case on Friday.

I think I may do this to save time. No real money savings but Its one less thing I have to do. Id like to do it my self for the experience. But , hey.....Maybe next time.

IF I decided to go ahead and soda blast my rocker box, valve head, and cylinders...How long do you think it could take? Would it matter if I blasted after honing and doing the valves, or would it be best to do it first? Being sure to mask everything up good and tight.

Also, after blasting, I could run them through my dishwasher to clean them and they would be good.. .... .... correct.?

I dont plan to paint the engine, just figured I may consider getting rid of the old faded crusty black paint on the top end.

It would look much better, just a matter of time and proper order.

Thanks.

EvenmoreXS,

I don't watch much television, so this thread has become my go to entertainment, and I mean that in a good way. Your attitude and enthusiasm is just great and should be an inspiration to others here on the site, especially the young ones, that if you want something done right, you do it yourself.

We are all rooting for you...and watching!
popc1.gif

:D

Makes me very happy to hear that Pete. I appreciate all the help, advice and support I receive from this forum. Im glad that you recognize my enthusiasm and can see past my learning curve. Thanks for staying tuned.

I know you veterans must get tired of answering a lot of the same questions, but the way I see it, that just means new people are still finding this bike, and this forum, and are still willing to neglect their wives, children, jobs, pets, friends, and bill collectors in order to get or keep their bike running.

" Its not a habbit, Its an addiction.....You have to separate the fact from the fiction "

I sure as shit hope somebody reads my threads from back to front so they can do things in the right order......:thumbsup:

Here is my soon to be home made spring compressor. Going to spot weld it together tonight I hope. If It doesnt work I'll make another version.

We'll see........

Cylinders are being honed today, should be ready this afternoon...Same day service:thumbsup:

Still deciding on the big bag of soda and blasting the top, or the small box and just spray the valves.

The debate continues....Money and a wife,...or a cool custom bike......

Decisions

Hey 5Twins,

The store soda, Baking or Washing? Dont wanna :doh: moment.

Also, what is the soda you get at the farm supply store. I cant find it on any of my local places websites.

http://floridafarmandfeed.com/

Attachments

• IMAG0918.jpg
    IMAG0918.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 195
  • IMAG0920.jpg
    IMAG0920.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Baking for blasting.
Washing for electrolysis solution.
Throw your prototype away and leave a solid ring at the bottom or those "legs" will fold up and you won't be happy.

10-4 WR. I appreciate it. Ive seen it done both ways , but the strength of the metal is in question. Dont want to gamble. I'll cut another tonight that has a full circle at the top and bottom with windows on the sides.

Here is my second incarnation of what appears to be a homemade valve spring compressor.

Did I screw up?

Should I have used a socket? I used conduit. Not sure why, saw it first at the hardware store i guess. I can do it again with a socket if I need to.

How bout this for the head gasket instead of threebond? Recomendations.
http://pitstopusa.com/i-5058467-perm...Fezm7AodPE4AYg

Attachments

• IMAG0923.jpg
    IMAG0923.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMAG0924.jpg
    IMAG0924.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMAG0925.jpg
    IMAG0925.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 170
  • IMAG0926.jpg
    IMAG0926.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 181
I think that will work better. You pretty much have the pattern down now to see if conduit will hold up.

The threebond is ok. You already have it.

It only has to work 8 times. Four valves off, Four valves on. It seems pretty strong, but I'll find out soon. Hate to have to do it again though. I may just get a socket at harbor freight while Im there later. Just in case. Those springs look pretty strong.

I think you will find a socket is a hard metal to cut. You might consider a 3/4 or 1" nipple 4" long. The metal is easier to cut and the wall thickness heavy enough.
But first try your tool it may be all you need.

I like nipples....4 inchs is a bit much, but I'll ask her.

I plan to try mine first, fingers crossed. Still may get a nipple too. Should only take 20 mins to cut out another if I have to.

I may pick up a bench grinder and wire wheel for the valves. Got no vice to hold em while I work em clean.

Back