1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Weight of stock alternator stator and rotor, battery box.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by arcticXS, Jun 12, 2019 at 7:46 PM.

1. arcticXS

arcticXS XS650 Junkie

I am curious about the weight of the stock alternator rotor and stator, as well asthe battery box incl. voltage regulator and all other doo-dads, except the starter solenoid.?

I would like to build a shallower, lighter battery box, so I can free up more space for longer air filters.
    I already have a brand new Powerdynamo PMA waiting in a box. Just wonder if it is worth a day or two off the road now in the season.

gggGary likes this.
  2. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Rotor is 3lb. 1oz.
    Stator (TCI version) is 3lb. even
    Batt box (including solenoid) is 4lb. 12oz.

TwoManyXS1Bs, arcticXS and gggGary like this.
  3. arcticXS

arcticXS XS650 Junkie

Thanks Jim! That would be 4.9 kg altogether, while the Powerdynamo is 3.1 kg. A lighter battery box may end up around 200 g, and the solenoid maybe another 200 g. Still 1.4 kg less than stock, or just over 3 lbs lighter. :)

Jim likes this.
  4. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

5. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

6. arcticXS

arcticXS XS650 Junkie

Already in place, "Super-B 5400" which I had on the Ducati Monster for at least 5years before installing it on the XS. Plenty cranking power, and it weighs Just 900g/ 2 lbs. Definitely "Super" :)
    I also put my complete Powerdynamo PMA kit on the kitchen scale, it actually weighs just 2100g/ 4 lbs 10oz., so is in fact a whopping 2.4 kg/ 5 lbs 5oz less than oem.(Maybe as much as 6-6.5kg total saved when including the weight saving from the battery)

Jim and gggGary like this.
  7. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Addict

:eek: Isn't that considered blasphemy on your side of the river Pete?

lakeview, MaxPete, gggGary and 2 others like this.
  8. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

It IS Beags - and that is why we tend to run a bit heavy....:rolleyes:

Jim likes this.
  9. arcticXS

arcticXS XS650 Junkie

Well, my experience of Canadian breakfast menus tell me they may be a contributing factor as well ;)
    Last August, I did a road trip of NL and NS with my GF, starting in St.Johns, via St.Anthony NL, ending in Halifax, then flying to Toronto and spending a day there, before flying to Europe the next day. A really good holiday, despite being in a rental car, not on motorcycle. We even stayed a night in Windsor NS. The breakfasts were very tasty, but surely more than 1000 calories every time. I didn't lose any weight on that holiday ;)

Jim and MaxPete like this.
  10. MaxPete

....and you probably didn't need to loose any weight. My Norwegian friends are all slim, trim and fit as fiddles (must be all that akavit...). :umm:

Pete

arcticXS likes this.
  11. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Enthusiast

FL