1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Weird clicking pt.2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Captainplanet, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Captainplanet

Captainplanet XS650 Enthusiast

I had a previous had a previous thread started about a weird "clicking". I got my pamco in and it running and it's still there. We've tried cam chai adjustment and made sure by pulling the advance unit it wasn't off but still no idea. It's an 83. No rephrase or Anthony different.

2. jay760

jay760 XS650 Junkie

Quite often the clicking is the cam chain adjuster, as it goes in and out on the spring, when it comes out it is quite quick and the rod taps against the adjuster.

3. Captainplanet

Anything to worry about or suggestions to fix it?

4. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

There should be a damper washer of some sort on the plunger to battle that clicking. Many find it missing. Early models used a copper washer, later models like yours had a metal/rubber type .....

[​IMG]

MikesXS sells the later metal/rubber style or you can scrounge one off an SR/XT/TT500.

5. Captainplanet

It would make sense the day that I get the parts I ordered from mikes that I have get more. Thank you for the response. I know we checked when we first heard it and it was still on there. But could be worn

6. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I don't think it's much of a wear item. The important thing is that it is there, providing a soft barrier between the hard steel plunger head and the back of the adjusting screw. Have you tried setting the cam chain tension while the motor is idling? You can hear a ticking if the setting is too loose and adjust it away. If you tighten the adjuster to the point where the plunger stops moving in and out slightly, you've set it too tight. If the noise is still present at that point, it's probably not connected to the tensioner assembly or its setting. Oh, and your video is coming up as "Private".

7. Captainplanet

Just updated it real quick. Sorry about that

8. angus67

angus67 Welder's penetrate deeper!!

any copper brass washer will do. take it to the hardware store and find one. I found one in a harbor freight assorted pack. a little thiner, but it helped.

9. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

That sound is very similar to I_am_Carbon's video (3-4 years ago?), where he discovered that the front guide's plastic had completely separated, and the camchain was riding on bare aluminum...

10. Captainplanet

I hope that's not it... I really don't want to have to pull
    The motor apart. But with the chain adjusted and still a loud click I don't know what else to check.

11. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

This is where a mechanic's stethoscope is best used. If you've never used one, try "stethoscope" in the searchbox, and see (or hear?) how others have used them...

12. Captainplanet

Found the clicking to actually becoming from the advance unit spinning around. Any ideas on how to quiet it up??