Weird frontend problem after a few miles

AtoXS

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can give me an idea what's going on here, I've been searching for a while and come up with nothing.
So I just got my chop running and have back making some trips around town and down the road testing out various things before I trust it on a longer run. Well I noticed a few days ago that after maybe 8-10 miles the frontend seems to vibrate a lot more and it feels like I'm going over a bunch of small bumps. At first I thought it was my front tire since it wasn't balanced and as it heated up maybe it was warping slightly. I took it in, got it balanced and it barely needed it, only took one weight. I threw it back on the bike and took another run, same thing.
Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on here? Someone suggested it could simply be a problem with the fork oil level or weight as it heats up. The lowers are shaved and I have no front brake atm, but I have another stock set of lowers that I'm going to clean up so I can mount a disc and also lower them 2" so I'm going to be tearing into them anyway soon, just hoping to get some insight into what I should be looking for.

Some time back, other members had similar sensations, tracked down to drive chain oscillations with stretched hardtails. Since the axle doesn't move on a hardtail, you can run the chain tension a bit tighter, say about 1/2" total up/down slack. Could search here for drive chain tensioners for more info...

Interesting thought. I actually have slack I could take out of my chain but when I do I get a small clicking noise at every rotation so I figured that was too tight.
Also, also talking to a few friends one mentioned that maybe the tire was out of round or not seated right, but it wasn't totally manifesting until it heats up.
If the issue just showed up out of the driveway it would be so much less confusing, but the fact that it takes a while leaves me wondering what the hell is going on.

...I actually have slack I could take out of my chain but when I do I get a small clicking noise at every rotation so I figured that was too tight...

Well, that's a sign that the chain may be worn/stretched, perhaps unevenly. If you retension, looser or tighter, and the sensation changes, bingo. Best then to install new chain and sprockets...

Back