weird suction sound when i kill motor

rawdog12571

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i ahve been working the bugs out of my bike for months now but still when i shut off the bike when hot it makes a weird suction noise idk wtf it is...i had many problems with it thinking major stuff but it was mainly vacuum leaks and i got my power back but it still backfires on deceleration but this noise is really weird im just wondering if anyone knows...thanks

Have you checked the carbs? When you said suction noise, the first thing that came to mind were the carb slides/diaphragms, but I'm not sure how it would be correlated to shutting the bike off.....?

Have you installed pods and a brake check valve? if so it's most likely just the brake check valve.

^

Yup, mine does it too. Kind of a low moan. It'll also do it if you turn the kick starter very slowly with the bike off.

It may have something to do with the breather apparatus as the pistons move the last bit of air while coming to rest. It's even more accentuated with a reed valve.

TC

no pamco....it is an 81 by the way yes with pod filters and open exhaust also my friend did the hieden carb kit and new diaphrams for me..i was thinking it could be a valve too but idk...im gonna have another friend look at my carbs and he has a manometer which im not familiar with.....but what is this brake check valve? im gonna do some research now...thanks guys

Only 2 things come to mind:

- Ignition post-fire, sometimes happened on ratty 'ol 4-cylinder bikes which had the 1-coil/2-plug ignition, mild backfire thru carb of non-compressing cylinder. The operative term here is "ratty 'ol".

- Leaky rings. A test for this is to sloooowwwlllyyy kick-thru the engine, listening for that sound...

On electronic ignition bikes, when you turn off the ignition it fires one more time. this is often heard as a woosh sound.
With stock air boxes you won't hear it, but with pods you will.
speaking of pods, what kind do you run? The pleated element filters like the K&N and similar knock offs could be part of the running issues. The shorter and more tapered the worse the effect.
A long straight foam filter fixes a lot of carb tuning issues.
Leo

Back