Welding and electronics

fishandchips

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some welding to do on my XS650SG and saw somewhere on this forum about removing the tci?

I have no battery attached and no wires are grounded at the moment.

Is it necessary to remove the tci? Anything else need removing?

Cheers my learned fiends.

Garry

I have used an electric welder on various vehicles. On a bike I would unplug any electronic modules and of course the battery. The most important thing I think is to ensure the ground lead on the welder is clean and tight to the frame.

Will it not be safe to leave the tci on the bike but not earthed? Reason is I have soldered the connections because I didn’t have any connectors. When I eventually decide what’s going where, I will come up with a better solution for the wiring.

Unfortunately, one of those wires to the TCI that you soldered is the ground for it. It can't ground through it's mounting since it's in a plastic case, so it has a ground wire running into it.

If you're solder this kind of thing, strip the wires about 1//4", tin them both very generously, ready to drip a blob. Hold them side to side, overlapping with the iron on them and you'll get a nice smooth strong joint that runs out over both wires. No need to twist them together. To unsolder, just touch it with the iron.

It's your bike but I'm the one that harps on removing the TCI before welding. I've sold too many TCI's to guys who didn't.
(I'm out of TCI's)

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I had thought as much from what I had read but needed the push to remove the tci.

The 3 white wires from the generator to the tci, do they need to be in any particular order, shall I mark them in order?

I am going to stick with the solder joints and follow xjwmx’s advice and stop twisting the wires together. Probably get a neater joint anyway.

The 3 white wires from the generator to the tci
that's not the TCI. Voltage rectifier (combined with regulator after 1979) gets three whites.
TCI is what pic calls igniter unit.
pickup wires.JPG

3 days ago since I hooked up the wiring and I forgot it already , my diagram matches yours.

So, Do the 3 wires need to be in any particular order? Just cos I was curious.

Great thanks Jim.

Also anyone know what this power outlet is please?

7018B98C-1749-48C4-B64F-232AACCC5A0C.jpeg
Great thanks.

Also anyone know what this power outlet is please

its just a suggested optional unfused power take of point ....you don't need to include it if you have no need of it. I would have though it a lot safer to have a switched and fused power take off point myself.
Stock bikes have a power supply for a rear parking light for instance which is taken off the red wire feed from the battery to ignition switch .As far as I can make out it is unfused ? but it is switched via your ignition switch so there is some isolation.

Back